RGB + LOR??

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
sielbear said:
At full tilt (white) this would draw 3 amps per 5 meter strip on the common leg. Would I not need to worry about overloading the common in this scenario?

The common active is not switched and as such is connected to the common bus on the baord, so its not subject to a 4 amp limit. I would though connect the common to 2 diiferent channels on the controller, say channel 1 & 2 common but you would be using 3 switched channels anyway for red green and blue

sielbear

New elf
Looking at the RGB pixels here http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-320677241/12mm-8mm-led-pixel-RGB-led-channel-lettet-waterproof-UV-cable-WS2801IC-256-level-gray-scale.html for the roof line. Love the C7 / C9 covers someone posted earlier.

I understand DMX has the limitation of 512 channels, so 170 Pixels per DMX universe. If I'm injecting power along the line every so many pixels, can I put all 170 on 1 chain, or is there another limit I'll run into I'm not aware of? The longest section of roofline on my house traditionally uses exactly 3 25 count C9 strings, spaced at 12" for a 25' string. I'm considering doing 6" spacing which would give me 150 Pixels in 1 string.

Any issues with this plan? On the 5V product, I've seen 20 - 50 pixels as the range for the power injection. I guess the more injection points the better, but the more work to get it setup? I was thinking I could use 2 different power supplies and run 2 different "busses" of power to inject power down the pixel strand.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
sielbear said:
I understand DMX has the limitation of 512 channels, so 170 Pixels per DMX universe. If I'm injecting power along the line every so many pixels, can I put all 170 on 1 chain, or is there another limit I'll run into I'm not aware of? The longest section of roofline on my house traditionally uses exactly 3 25 count C9 strings, spaced at 12" for a 25' string. I'm considering doing 6" spacing which would give me 150 Pixels in 1 string. Any issues with this plan?

Yes you can do this as 1 long string of 170 pixels as long as you inject the power along the line at differnt points

sielbear said:
On the 5V product, I've seen 20 - 50 pixels as the range for the power injection. I guess the more injection points the better, but the more work to get it setup? I was thinking I could use 2 different power supplies and run 2 different "busses" of power to inject power down the pixel strand.

You can do this as long as you tie the negatives together of the power supplies and ensure that you keep the active seperated as most standard power supplied are not designed to be parralleled together. This could damage your power supply