RGB Pixel (or not) strip for Pool Area

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
The inlaws have moved into a new house that has a cover over the pool to stop bugs and animals getting in, it looked like this before it was repaired:

poolcover.jpg

I was thinking about lighting up the pool with RGB strip running along each of the black joists.

Do any of the existing pixel controllers have a default test pattern that is just 100% all channels on (ie white)?

The thought is when power is turned on via a normal light switch, the PSU would run powering the lights and controller with no e131 or DMX signal and produce a normal white light for the pool.

When I wanted to do fancy things I could connect it to a computer (or say a raspberry pi) and build effects and such to make the lighting look awesome over the pool.

Dumb strip would also work (with a suitable controller) but would not make the same effects.

I would most likely be using 2811 strip 10ic/m for cost effectiveness.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I would do dumb strips.

They do make Wall washers that you can submerge underwater that are real cool
Was thinking to get some for my pool at night when we have BBQ's

-Blu

DSMJuggalo

New elf
The Sandevices controllers have default solid test patterns. Pattern 1 is red, 2 is blue, 3 is green, and 7-10 are 25%,50%,75%, and 100% white.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I would use a PI then program your own sequences or static moods and select them with any smartphone or iPad

Karob

Let there be Light!
Wow what a great open canvas to do some great effects.

I personally would go pixels for the flexibility and control of the lights.

Sure the whole roof structure as white will provide great lighting for that night time swim and dumb RGB strip will do that and add the flexibility for some mood lighting, but pixels would enable you to make that roof dance for that ultimate pool party.

Only condition is when its all done we all get invited for a night time swim under some great pixel effects.

Kaden

Thanks for all the responses!

The sandevices option is perfect. Also I got a raspberry pi for Christmas, so I think I have found its purpose!

Karob, you would have to travel a long way for the pool party, Steve is a little closer. There will be progress updates and videos to follow.

Kaden

I have been talking with Ed (j1sys) about my plan, as I already buy my christmas light controllers from him.

He is adding a white test pattern option in the next firmware release of his controllers for me.

He also convinced me to buy a ECG-P12S/P12D which is the P12 controller with the pixel extenders already built into it.

I will report back my success using this product, on specs alone it is a very good unit. You can centralise your controller and still have the pixels a long distance away without worrying about null pixels making it very flexible!