RGB Radio Station Sign

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I posted a blog entry on my site describing how I built 2 RGB Radio Station Signs. I've also attached 2 pictures here. We have a a few more pictures as well as a video of the finished product in case anyone wants to compare notes :)

Attachments

• img_1086.jpg
    img_1086.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 79
  • img_1100.jpg
    img_1100.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 77

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
In case anyone is interested in the specifics:

The rectangular box is cut from a single piece of black Coro. Finished dimensions are 6' x 14" x 4.5". Weights about 4 1/2lbs complete. Letters are 8" tall. Inside there are 22 - square WS2801 pixel modules (each with 4 LEDs). I have pigtails for power, data-in and data-out which would connect to any controller. I happen to be using an ECG-P12R.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice Bill, It looks fantastic, I would love to see some video of it in action. I built something similar out of corex, what is great about this approach is that your sign becomes part of the show.

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I posted a sample video of some basic chase patterns and color changes. 2 pixels light each of the letters in the sign so there is quite a bit of versatility in terms of programming. The video is available here: 2012 Radio Station Signs

Once I setup ahead of the holidays I'll be sure to post videos.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
That is awesome!

I have off cuts of 2811 strip which will be perfect for this!

Thanks Bill!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Now looks like i may have to convert my tune to sign from the dumb RGBs I used last year to some intelligent RGB strip.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
well, im thinking, i havent even used the one i made, but looking at that has made me want to remake it anywayz.. yours looks soo much more professional

Good job

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
One other important note. The inside of the sign (inside the box) it complete OPEN. I toyed with the idea of putting some black Coro separators (baffels) to isolate LEDs from one character bleeding into the next but don't think it would be that noticeable. My original test confirms that.

Regardless it's held together with drywall anchors. If I ever wanted to open them up it's easily done. This is a pretty simple project. The most time consuming effort was probably soldering all of the connections. It's a great project if you'd got lots of spare pixels laying about. I used the square WS2801 modules with 4 LEDs for a little extra punch. If you have modules with 3 LEDs it probably wouldn't make a significant difference.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is the construction method i used last year but as I only had white corex, i instead cut the the letters out on paper and used childrens glue to hold the letters in place, I then painted the box black and then white again, Then i removed the paper letters to leave the white corex letters. I also had my sign partitioned into 3 individual sections and i used some cheap dumb strip instead of modules.

But regardless of how a corex tune to sign is made, they are an excellent addittion to any display as they end up serving a dual pupose and that is telling people to tune to the right channel, but to also use your show effects, so it becomes part of the show.

Im tempted to make another one this year as i now have a couple of sheets of black corex to play with.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
That looks really fantastic.

Im glad the laws are very strict here in NZ for FM transmitters, that way I dont have the temptation to make one :)