RGB Radio Station Sign

kane

Dedicated elf
I've done a similar sign here - I had a smaller one last year that was a small coro box, and I bought custom vinyl sticker lettering for the wording...

But I wanted a bigger one this year, and the lettering was going to be $80 or something, so I figured I'd go down Eddy's route, and stick paper letters on, spray paint the Coro black, and then remove the lettering.. However, I've left mine black (for daytime viewing pleasure), rather than doing a topcoat in white.

Pretty happy with how it turned out - I've stuck 45x 1804 modules in the back of it (that I had spare), so should be able to get some nice effects happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42xa8m71pn3an9t/2012-08-16%2022.29.54.jpg

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
Kane said:
I've done a similar sign here - I had a smaller one last year that was a small coro box, and I bought custom vinyl sticker lettering for the wording...

But I wanted a bigger one this year, and the lettering was going to be $80 or something, so I figured I'd go down Eddy's route, and stick paper letters on, spray paint the Coro black, and then remove the lettering.. However, I've left mine black (for daytime viewing pleasure), rather than doing a topcoat in white.

Pretty happy with how it turned out - I've stuck 45x 1804 modules in the back of it (that I had spare), so should be able to get some nice effects happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/42xa8m71pn3an9t/2012-08-16%2022.29.54.jpg

45 modules. Holy cow! And here I thought I had pretty good control with 22 :)

mykroft

New elf
Great looking sign!

Is the Adobe Illustrator template file avail for a base setup to help with folds/tabs etc?

Thanks
Myk

kane

Dedicated elf
BillInSoFL said:
45 modules. Holy cow! And here I thought I had pretty good control with 22 :)
Actually, to be honest - it may not look as great as it sounds! My original plan was to have the sign as white, with black lettering, which meant the whole sign needed to be lit up, hence the 45 modules. Once I changed my mind, I did think about moving the modules around to just be behind the lettering, but they are well and truly stuck on the back sheet, so I figured I'd just leave them there!
mykroft said:
Is the Adobe Illustrator template file avail for a base setup to help with folds/tabs etc?
If this was referring to my sign - this was just done in word - chose the font and printed out the lettering (had to experiment a bit with size to get it to fill the sign well.
Matt said:
would love to see a video of this in action with all those modules.. Any chance to see one?
Will try and take a video over the next couple of days and post it.

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I actually used 2 files one for lettering layout and one to help visualize the box layout. I used Illustrator to layout lettering on the front then printed poster size (it took like 12 pieces of paper, that I taped together then cut out the letters). You don't need a large print out of the entire box :) The import part is the lettering and how it will fit on the front. I then built the box to fit the lettering (layout attached).

Front and back at 6' x 14".
Sides were 4.5".
Tabs are 2".

Attachments

• img_1064a.jpg
    img_1064a.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Radio Sign.ai.zip
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 34

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Ok i finely finished my version of the tune to sign, using dumb rgb strip

tuneto8.jpg

tuneto12.jpg

joekin

Apprentice elf
ShellNZ said:
That looks really fantastic.

Im glad the laws are very strict here in NZ for FM transmitters, that way I dont have the temptation to make one :)

Doesn't have to be a "tune to" sign you could make it a "marry christmas" sign.

now get working on one lol ;)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
BillInSoFL said:
That's what I was wondering. How many strips did you use, etc?
I basicly used a roll of 5m dumb rgb strip
cut into 3 lot segments an 3 rows for each word
then wired them as RGB, BRG, GBR, RGB for each of the words,
it allows me to get away with only 3 channels total.

I painted it on the inside cause i herd some people have to touch up there paint, an im lazy.

Hope that helps

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Some of the simplest ideas are are often the most effective. Great idea and looks great. That's what i really like about this forum - so many clever ideas shared here has helped me make things I hadn't realised were so easy to do.