RGB Star "Light Boxes"

kane

Dedicated elf
Hey All

Just thought I'd post a couple pics of my RGB Stars that I've been putting together as light boxes, made out of Frosted Perspex.

I had a local plastics place supply the perspex and cut them to size - I wanted a total of 11 stars - one larger one for the top of my mega tree, and 10 slightly smaller ones to use elsewhere. For each star, there was a top and bottom star shape, and then 10 strips of perspex to form the sides. They also supplied some special acrylic glue that you use a bottle with a needle attached to effectively weld the two pieces of perspex together. It certainly has a damn strong hold!

Here's a couple photos of the star construction..

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

I have now installed some TM1804 RGB pixel modules into one of the stars. This is the larger star which I've put 23 pixel modules in - I'll put 17 in the smaller ones. My plan wasn't really to control every pixel, but I was thinking it would be nice to have perhaps the whole star lit up in white, and then have the five points light in in a different colour in a sequence.

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

As a test, I just used LSP's test controller area to stick all channels on "twinkle".. This looks really brilliant - am looking forward to having this going on the top of the mega tree.

The photos don't really show it too well, but you get the idea. I'll try and upload a video or two to show how it looks

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

Overall, pretty happy with it. Now just need to get the other ten loaded with pixel modules and work out the best way to mount etc!

Cheers

Kane

kane

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
now my brain is in over drive after seeing the video's
i was thinking you could use these inside the star to make it viewable from both sides
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/404056686-12mm-WS2801-pixel-module-IP68-DC5V-input-full-color-wholesalers.html

since i can get a hold of plastic, looks like another great coro design though. :D

I think using those nodes may prove problematic - I found that if any of the wiring is in front of the led modules, it ruins the effect a bit.. So getting a two sided thing happening may not be too easy!

In my case, I was happy with one-sided, so the job was pretty easy..

Cheers

Kane