RGB Strand Observations

jediknight2

Full time elf
This is my first year with RGB and I LOVE them. I purchased about 700 of these http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/led-pixel-module-WS2801-DC12V-input-IP68-100pcs-a-string-IP68-in-all-black-wires/701799_638369260.html not in the black wire though. I walked out Friday night and one side of my run was locked into a color and wouldn't change. Walked around the side of the house and sure enough, you could tell where the bad pixel was. Pulled the ladder out and went up to replace the bad pixel and everything was back to normal. I decided to cut open the bad pixel to see what the deal was. On these pixels they do state IP68, the bottom of the pixel is solid resin. HOWEVER, there is a rubber sleeve that comes up and goes around the LED coming up from the pixel board. Water had gotten into that area and evidently shorted the board out. The top of the board had SOME resin on it...maybe it is supposed to be covered, not sure as I haven't opened up another one to see. I DID, however, see some rusting on the LED wires..of course that only makes sense as the pixel board was wet. A few things I need to investigate or find out from one of you with these pixels. Is the resin supposed to cover the tops of the boards? Anyone else with issues on these pixels? I DO have 2 more pixels that have issues on this string. They are passing data like they should because the rest of the string is working, but the LED colors flicker. NOW if I had a C9 diffuser cover or a cover on the pixel covering that area...this would have NEVER happened....so maybe I need a clear diffuser...

JPB

Full time elf
I had that problem last year with water getting on the top but mine were not rated IP68. I have added c9 covers this year.
One problem wither covers is that the weight of them makes the pixel twist to the side. You just need to anchor them more securely.

Jon