RGB Strip current load limits

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by Madko, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Madko

Madko Full Time Elf

Hey Guys

I purchased a 2811DC15 and also some 72led/m RGB dumb strips (below)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-5050-smd-72leds-m-led-flexible-strip-DC12V-input-waterproof-IP65/701799_497282375.html

My maximum length run of these RGB strip is 6.6 meters (joined extra to the 5 meter strip) used for wall washing. Now im working out the current load.

Max wattage for the 6.6 meter strip is 6.6x17.2= 113.52Watts, therefore max current for this strip is roughly 9.5 Amps.

Now these are my questions,
    1. Is this 9.5 Amps when running this strip all white?
    2. If so does that mean that each RGB channel is 9.5/3= 3.16 amps?
    3. If i have 14/0.2, 4 core security cable lengths made up already, are these suitable or does one of my cores need doubling/tripling up to handle total current load?

Cheers

2. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Yes, that is correct.

Not exactly - will let someone else chime in with exact details, but from memory red LEDs draw about two-thirds the current of blue and green LEDs

Having a quick look at the wiki, 14/0.2 is good for around 4.5A. So although the three cores you'd use for red/green/blue would be fine, the remainder core that you'd use for common would be overloaded... So you would need to double up.

Cheers

Kane