RGB Wreath Array

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hey all,

I have been posting some of my builds going on this year of late... gearing up to finish with the wiring for the year and start with the programming / sequencing (I guess I am an oddball in that I don't like to sequence anything until I know what I will have built). The last couple of posts have focused on the couple of different mini tree types that I converted to RGB this year. This post is focused around a dozen wreaths that I picked up at 90% off at Walmart the one year after Christmas and stuck in my attic until now... I decided to wrap them each with 50 of the bullet style WS2811 pixels (black wiring) and am happy with the test results. Each wreath is around 75cm (30") in diameter.

https://vimeo.com/105617092

I am using LSP to sequence them and have done a couple of things so far... the first is just drawing a vertical line for each of the wreaths and spreading that out horizontally across my display. That allows for some decent sweeps back and forth. The second idea I came up with (and this required me to wrap each of the wreaths in the same direction) was to create a left and right half of the tree (represented by vertical lines to the left and right of the center vertical line representing the entire wreath). The "left and right half" lines are for pixels 26-50 and 1-25, respectively (the wreaths are wrapped clock-wise from top-dead-center, so the first 25 pixels are the right half of the wreath). I created separate "elements / controllers" in LSP for the (1) full wreath, (2) right half, and (3) left half of the wreath... and repeated that 12 times. As you will see in the sequence above, that allowed me to do a pretty cool sweep wherein i have the left half of the wreath sweep to the right as red and the right half of the wreath sweep to the left as green... I am still trying to come up with other cool things to do with these... I don't think I want to go as far as "quartering" the wreath... the next thing I want to try and figure out how to do is to have all 12 wreaths "fill" in a clock-wise (or counter-clock-wise) fashion... basically, each wreath will have to turn on pixels 1-50 in order. Any suggestions on cool effects would be appreciated!

Thanks for looking.

-Louie in Melbourne

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Forgive me if I have not understood your setup correctly.
If you have the wreaths drawn into LSP as verticle lines you could put all the wreath's onto a layer and then using a colour slider macro starting off screen and ending onscreen going either up or down you would get them to fill in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. This is how I do my spining stars. That is easily done if only turning them on in one colour. If you wanted them to, say, half fill in green and then finish off in red, that might require a bit more thought and experimentation....maybe achieved with masks or using a combination of transitions.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
That's exactly my setup. I have had some issues with "end on screen" causing light not to get too the last element in left to right and vice versa. Single color is fine for now, I will have to try your approach, thanks!

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Logan: What would that color slider macro gradient look like? The reason I ask is that I had already setup a color slider macro that was black_color_black (the color slice was somewhat narrow) running in the 'up' direction, but starting off screen and ending off screen and all it did was send a narrow band of light clockwise. Should the color gradient be more like a black_color instead of black_color_black ??

Thanks

-Louie in Melbourne

logandc99

Dedicated elf
In the colour slide macro setup screen, pick a colour and make it fill the whole rectangular box and ask it to go up (for example) and start off screen and end on screen. When you run the preview you will see the solid colour appear at the bottom and slowly move up to fill the screen. That should translate to your pixels on the wreath turning on one after the other around your wreath making it look like it is turning on in a clockwise direction (assuming you have wound them on in that direction). If it happens to go anticlockwise instead, just tell the macro to go down instead.
If you want them to all turn on in a clockwise direction and then turn off in an anticlockwise direction, then tick the bounce box.
I use this for my columns and have light going up and down to the beat of the song.
You could have your wreaths do that to a beat also (except they would go clockwise and then anticlockwise).

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Ahhhh... solid color... I don't know why I thought that darn color slider had to have a gradient in it! Every one that the software installs with is a gradient. Love it... it works, did bounce and everything. Now I'm trying to figure out the masking because that was too easy to do! I'd love it to be solid green and then fill with red (even with bounce!).... off to watch some videos...

Thanks!

-Louie in Melbourne

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Wow, there looking great. Once again your display is going to awesome with all these elements your making.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Thanks! These were so easy to put together. The hardest part is finding good deals on things like the bare wreaths... Miss the good old days...

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Nicely done. They are looking great. Hadn't thought about using wreaths until I saw yours.