Roof Line setup idea/question

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
The other day I was trying to sequence some effects on my roofline, after a few minutes I realize that if I do divide the whole roofline into multiple lines the effect will be more nice, even, and repeated. Ex. instead of having one section of 180 nodes, have 6 sections of 30 nodes each.

The question;
It will be better to actually wire the roofline subdivisions as one output port and xLights programmed that way or be better just have the entire roofline wired continuously and program the subdivisions to start after x model/channel number in xLights layout and save the wiring work?

Thanks!

Nojoy

Full time elf
I think your wiring should be as simple as possible while maintaining the amount of flexibility you want to shift elements from year to year. Every lead and connection is another failure point to manage.
Xlights provides the ability to define groups, sub-models and all the way down to sequencing individual pixels, so if you're using that why not let the tool do the work.

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
so if you're using that why not let the tool do the work.
Because I do not know how to fully use that tool, Yet! I was thinking that this year will have more time to learn it but isn't happening. Thanks for your input, mostly the route I decide to go.