Rookie mistake

Rebel Crowd

New elf
Hi all just started setting up props for the first time and think may have made a rookie mistake.
have medium 360 coro trees with star topper. for them to work properly or not use a lot of ports i should have wired so one followed the other so start with tree go thru star then to next tree and so on with power injection as i go

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Either way that’s a lot of pixels per port. What sort of controller you using?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I wouldn't consider it a requirement to daisy chain props, I have most of mine on individual ports, to be honest it's easier to fault find and if you lose a prop it doesn't end up taking everything down after it. There's nothing wrong with having more than one controller in a show so I personally wouldn't worry about using up one port per prop.

bpratt

Senior elf
Not necessarily a problem, if you keep a track on the total number of pixels for both amount of pixel and power injection if needed.

Depending upon your controller, you can probably daisy chain a number of these together, and if not all of them, most of them.

On say a F16, you could probably run 4 stars and trees per port quite easily, as long as you provide some power injection.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Yes each to their own. I consider myself a bit of a “port packer” as I hate the thought of unutilized equipment. Like has been said, as long as you keep track of what you are using on each port you should be fine

Rebel Crowd

New elf
thanks all think this is going to be a big learning curve. do have F16 hope to power up first time this weekend

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I always wire props to have an input at start and output at end, regardless of where in display it will be placed. You may find you'll change the display over the years and this makes it much easier to place anywhere, regardless of of props are before or after it.
I try to add a few props per port and not waste too many channels, but the trade off means needing more power injection. The downside if yes if the port has a fault, you lose more pixels/props in one go.
TLDR: there are pros and cons to both ways of adding pixels to ports, so you haven't done it wrong, you've just done it different to some others.