Rope Light Frame On Tiled Roof

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
Hello,

I'm seeking ideas and suggestions on how to mount a rather large flat rope light display piece so that it sits vertically on my tiled roof. Not on top of the roof, or flat on the tiles, but actually vertically on the tiles.

The rope light frame is rather flexible, and I've had a few ideas, but ther drawing below is the best idea I've come up with.

I've looked at using a handrail system to make the strong frame, also extruded aluminum but I'm not sure....

Any input would be appreciated.

rope light roof.jpg
.s-l300.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I used two pieces of conduit and some large cable ties to mount my Chimney Santa a few years ago:

chimney_santa2.jpg

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
79466973_10156519444035951_5310196353870069760_o.jpg

Yep so bracket was working a treat for my roof mounted decoration for the last 2 weeks. One very windy night last night managed to bend two 25kg rated L brackets, which were slipped between the tiles. The frame was also strapped to the solar panels for extra strength. It wasn't enough though! I think some some type of harmonic resonance slowly bent the frames until they were flat on the solar panels. Thankfully solar panels are not damaged,

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
The support was from the two L brackets and 2 ratchet straps, the straps were about 30cm higher than the brackets. It felt very solid when we installed it.

I'm going to remove the L brackets and weld on stronger ones, and have two sets of straps, one set at the back attached to the solar panel brackets again, and another set much higher on the frame and attached to the front of the house, but were to mount them to, all that is there is the gutter and that won't be strong enough....I'll think of a solution given time.

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
They're used for antenna's aren't they? Didn't actually think of that, though don't you need to drill into your tiles to mount them? I was looking for a more of a system that I can easily install and remove without drilling into the house. Your idea is a solid one though.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Yes, the antenna stays normally bolt through the tiles. Maybe some solar panel mounting tabs would be the way to go? They screw to the rafter and come out under the tile. Search YouTube for "solar panel tile mounting" to get an idea how they work.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
This year I wasn't happy with how tight the zip ties were holding the Santa motif in place so bent up these brackets.

Tile Bracket 1.jpg

Attachments

• Tile Bracket 3.jpg
    Tile Bracket 3.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Tile Bracket 2.jpg
    Tile Bracket 2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 34