rpi4 crashing after power cycle

sector30

New elf
Howdy

Ive been scratching my head on this one.
Im using a rpi4b which ran flawlessly last year.

Beginning saturday, it seemed like it was corrupting the SD card, and wouldnt boot.
I reflashed the sd with a brand new FPP image, and it would run and reboot fine.
Next evening it wouldnt boot.

I suspected maybe it was too close to one of my PSUs, so i moved it away.
I reflashed on a new sd, and it would run and reboot fine.
Next evening it wouldnt boot.

Reflashed and ran it at my desk to have a closer look and plug it into a monitor.
It would boot to a login prompt, and then about 10 seconds later it would 'halt' and i seemed to get various green led codes (7 flashes, 10 flashes).
Also, after it was freshly flashed, i could reboot it as much as I wanted, but if I shut it down and then removed the power after 30 seconds, it would go back to halting 10 seconds after it booted. Almost like removing the power was corrupting something. I ran an SD card read/write tool which completed without an error.

I went and bought a new rpi4b, which is running fine, and reboots/power cycles without a problem. So, I dont think this is an FPP bug.

So, Im thinking maybe it is a hardware issue. I flashed the suspect rpi with raspberian desktop, and it runs like a charm. Reboots fine, power cycle as much as I like, cant recreate the issue.

Anyone experianced anything like this?

Steve

sector30

New elf
After posting, and staring at the dodgy rpi, something made me think bios version, which I wondered if it was different to the new pi I bought today.

When I booted raspberian on the dodgy pi this evening, I let it do a system update.

Part of the system update appears to be an eeprom (bootloader) update.
to check your eeprom version: sudo rpi-eeprom-update
My dodgy rpi is now running the latest epprom version.

And now magically, I can shutdown and power cycle without any of the above issues!

Apparently I have a backup rpi/FPP now ;)

Ive just checked, and the FPP install does have the rpi-eeprom-update command installed (FPP: Help > SSH Shell)

Questions in my mind:
- does the FPP update process update the eeprom? (i suspect i was running FPP 4.3.1 prior to this issue, no idea what the eeprom version was)
- not sure why it started occuring on saturday

Anyway... hope that helps someone else!

Steve

vk3heg

Full time elf
Questions in my mind:
- does the FPP update process update the eeprom? (i suspect i was running FPP 4.3.1 prior to this issue, no idea what the eeprom version was)

The FPP update process only does updates for FPP from what I've seen. To update your pi, ssh or use the terminal. Login and run these commands:

sudo apt-get update (Updates the package database)
sudo apt-get upgrade (Upgrades installed packages)
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (Upgrades system files, like the kernel etc).
sudo shutdown -r (Reboot the pi)

sector30

New elf
Thats good to know, I assumed the FFP update was also updating the underlying OS.