RTC battery error

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
IF you have a Hanson Electronics board with a realtime clock installed please read https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/realtime-clock-battery/
The list of boards that contain the TinyRTC module and may be affected are
  • Octoscrolla with RTC
  • rPi-28D and rPi-28D+
  • HE123, HE123Mk2 and HE123D
  • rPi-Clk
  • rPi-LedClk
There is a circuit modification that should have been made to allow the use of non rechargeable CR2032 batteries rather than chargeable LIR2032 batteries and in some cases this modification may have been missed.

brando

Full time elf
Is this the cause of the one that was posted on FB this week with an exploded battery? I've only got a battery in one of my He123Mk2's that's in storage, so I'll pull it out and check

AAH

Is this the cause of the one that was posted on FB this week with an exploded battery? I've only got a battery in one of my He123Mk2's that's in storage, so I'll pull it out and check
I have no idea if that caused the exploded battery. It was seeing that that made me wonder if I'd ever missed any of the diodes. I have 1 of my rPi-28d's that has been permanently installed for a few years now and I "think" it has a battery in it. It only gets turned on a few hours a night over December but I'll have a check before I power it up again.

Kim_H

New elf
Where is the diode in question located on the HE123MK2 boards, the website doesn't show in for those boards.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Where is the diode in question located on the HE123MK2 boards, the website doesn't show in for those boards.
It is mounted on the blue RTC module where you place the battery. It's on the underside of it (between the HE123 and the daughter board) - you should be able to see it face-on the same as the other photos shown.

Reactions: AAH

AAH

As Skymaster said it's under the clock module and it's somewhat hard to get a good viewing angle. Pulling the Beagle off and measuring the voltage is the easiest option.