Running an LOR controller with HLS

brettjm

New elf
I am trying to run my LOR ac controller with HLS. when i try to set up my controller i set up the com port, in the transport i select USB_DMX - ENTEC_OPEN and the serial number of the dongle (usb 485 lor dongle) comes up and i select that. at this point the com is green. but when i go to test the lights when i turn a channel on it will light up but it will flash and not be on solid. can i not use the LOR usb 485 dongle with hls or is there something else i am doing wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated as i lile hls better than the LOR software and want to get into some pixels and really want to use HLS.

thanks

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I haven't used the LOR dongle with HLS, I went the E1.31 route using a 6 port bridge but I believe you would still have to create a crossover cable to go from LOR protocol to DMX even if using the LOR dongle.
[attachimg=1]

The above graphic was taken from Fasteddy's PP on running LOR in DMX mode. ;)
If you are posting HLS related questions it may be a good idea to also post them at DIYCHRISTMAS.COM as Joe checks there often.

Attachments

• lor_dmx.JPG
    lor_dmx.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 46

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you are using a LOR dongle then you shouldn't need the crossover cable as shown above.
I always recommend that people try using da_dmx from http://www.da-share.com/software/da_dmx/ to test their hardware before playing with the sequencer. If you run da_dmx then about all you need to do to get going is in the settings click on "open port" and you can use the faders etc to fade up and down.
If it is a lor dongle attached to a lor board and da_dmx doesn't control the board then there is the possibility that the LOR board doesn't have a late enough firmware in it. To check and update the firmware you will need to have LOR installed. I think the demo version will allow you to access the hardware utility which is where testing and updating is done. You will also need the hardware utility to change the controller ID if it's a CTB16PC board.
If da_dmx does control the board then it's possible that your software isn't configured right. The dongle has to be configured for a specific universe and the channels on the board relate to the controller ID times 16. Controller 1 uses channels 1-16, controller 2 uses channels 17-32 etc.

brettjm

New elf
Thanks for the info guys! its going to be an early morning so i will have to try these out after work tomorrow. i will keep you updated.

brettjm

New elf
sorry so long but work has been crazy and havent had a chance to look at anything again until tonight. i did update the firmware on the controller but that doesn't seem to help either. i also have a thread on diy christmas right now trying to get some help also. again thank you for your help and sorry for the lag in keeping you updated.