Running pixel from a car 12v battery.

davenmarcia

Apprentice elf
Thinking it has gone off topic but there is no charging from a car it is all solar set at max 13.8v but with fridge running etc it sits around the 13.2v at night when i will be using the lights.
I have jaycar up the road so thinking going this way https://www.jaycar.com.au/400v-35a-bridge-rectifier/p/ZR1324 if that is suitable or I may just have a chat and see what they come up with, there is 1 very knowledgeable staff that i will hope is working when I call in.

TerryK

Retired Elf
The Australian "caravan 12 system" term threw me off kilter. I have a hard time thinking a WS2811 12 Volt pixel would care much about begin a volt high. Most 12 Volt supplies run hot from the manufacturer and they typically overshoot a bit on power up as well. Whoever assembled the strip would not want the complaints if someone's supply hit the strip with something in the mid to high 12s and smoked the strip. Can't help but think there is a safety factor in there somewhere.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
There are some pixel types that seem to be very sensitive to over voltage, both 5V and 12V types. You'd think the 12V ones would be more tolerant, but apparently some take to glowing when they should be off if supplied much over 12V.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I vaguely recall seeing on ACL someone testing that. One of the minis maybe. I do not recall the type of pixel; a regulated WS2811 would not mind to much as long as the 78L05 could get rid of the heat. A 5 Volt would become interesting fairly quickly I would think. A resistor one I'm not sure about. A WS2811 12 Volt Resistor pixel I dissected had a 3.3KOhm resistor in its VDD line.
In any case, with the WS2811 strip being a resistor type it seems somewhat logical that the resistor work help insulate the IC from the elevated voltage.

davenmarcia

Apprentice elf
Update I have it working I used a 12v USB socket to power the wemos a stepdown converter to keep the power under 12v for the lights all working with wled now just have to add it in xlights and see how that goes