SanDevices Specifications.

Nodent

Apprentice elf
Hello all,

I came across a chart on http://www.holidaycoro.com/PixLite-E1-31-Pixel-Controller-p/621.htm and having the E6802. I questioned the information on it and sent Jim an email.

He was shocked at how much of the information was wrong about his product.

-----------------------------
Me to Jim
> BTW is it true your controllers can only do 1 universe per output?
>
> http://www.holidaycoro.com/PixLite-E1-31-Pixel-Controller-p/621.htm
>
> Look at the chart.

The chart has a lot of errors:

Max DMX channels is 3,060, should be 6,120
Max DMX channels for Advatek is wrong, can only be 8,192 (16 outputs x 512
channels per output)
Max pixels per SPI output is 170, should be 999
DMX Outputs is 4, should be 16
Null pixels middle of string should be NO
Refresh rate is not adjustable
SPI output wiring diagram silkscreen is NO should be YES

Misc comments: Polyfuses (Advatek) are a bad idea. Their trip point
varies a lot with temperature and having one fixed value means you can't
change fuse value if needed.

Also, the Advatek can only be configured for one pixel type at a time.

The SanDevices and J1Sys controllers use the same connector pinout,
Advatek is different.

-jim-

------------------------------

So when your shopping, get the info straight from the source. :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It seems Jim supplies wrong info too.

Direct from the pixlite webpage
Outputs up to an impressive two DMX universes of data (340 individual pixels) per individual output (32 universes total of Multicast E1.31 data)

This is 16320 channels (32 universes @ 510 channels (170 pixels) per universe)

Devo

Apprentice elf
It does seem a few of the specs re Sandevice's E682 are incorrect on the Holiday Coro site, however I also need to correct Jim's comments re his comments on the PixLite 16 controller. Specifically, the max number of output channels for an Advatek PixLite 16 board is actually 16,320 (1020 per individual output - double that of an E682 or P12), and this is clearly stated on our site (as Alan correctly pointed out), so not sure where he is getting his information from on that.
Regarding polyfuses, yes there are tradeoffs for using them (as there are in any engineering design), and we believe the pro's outweigh the con's, which is why we used them in our design. They are self-resetting, meaning no need to have to replace any fuses during a show. This is balanced against the fixed trip point, but in all practical situations they will always trip very quickly when a short occurs in the output, which is ultimately why a fuse is there.

Nodent

Apprentice elf
oh boy, I didn't mean to start a war.

I feel everyone is trying to out do the other which is understandable in a business.

But I do feel each business tries to put out a quality product to the customers needs.

Sorry if I stepped on any ones toes.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
My toes get stepped on all the time. Clumsy children. grrrrrr

I'm all for all the suppliers supplying clear and accurate info to add to the ACL wiki. I personally use the wiki as the "go to" place for getting info on controllers and unfortunately info on most of the available pixel controllers is missing from http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Interfaces#Ethernet_.28E1.31.29_to_SPI . I have edited in someof the stuff myself and if anyone gives me the info I'm willing to have a bash at adding it to the wiki.

Devo

Apprentice elf
No toes stepped on here - competition is a good thing! As long as all parties do the right thing and represent their competitor's products fairly and accurately :pIn the Holiday Coro case, we didn't provide David with those specs on the E682 - but we'll ask him to correct the ones that are factually incorrect. Knowing him he probably made those mistakes unwittingly - there are a lot more specs on there that are correct than are wrong.