Santa Radar ideas

Mattslights

New elf
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for ideas for a prop that I’ve worked on over the last few years that is finally getting closer to finishing it ready for my Christmas display.

Here is a video showing the Santa Radar I built back in 2018 using lights bought from those pop-up Christmas stores

I used a motor and gearbox from JayCar https://www.jaycar.com.au/single-mo...os=3&queryId=7ced26031d0ed7327d883039ecd60351 this worked for a little while but when the motor wasn’t running during the day the dish would be blown around in the wind causing the gears to strip.

Now I’m moving into using pixels I have redesigned and rebuilt a new radar but I’m getting stuck on the engineering part to make the dish spin effectively.

In the these videos I’m using a 24v motor running at 15v so the dish will spin at approximately 40 rpm. This motor only lasted about 3 hours before burning out and reached a temperature of 50 degrees.

Another option to overcome the issue of the dish spinning freely in the wind during the day could be to work out a way to disengage the drive shaft during the day then when I want to start the motor in the evening the drive shaft would engage to spin the dish.

A good speed for the dish is to spin at around 35 – 45 rpm, it would be good to have a dial that I could use to increase or decrease the speed slightly as required.

Any suggestions on motors, gearing or general ideas would be much appreciated...

burnt

Full time elf
i would look at wiper motor (50rpm) and use a speed controller.. disengaging maybe use a solenoid to pull/push a locking pin

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
+1 for the wiper motor. Go to a wreckers or eBay for one. Easily withstand 100km/H winds, and if you buy one from a German car brand you know they'll withstand over 200kmH winds! 😁

Mattslights

New elf
Does it have to spin both ways freely, maybe a one way bearing?
Possibly... so would a one way bearing spin freely during the day when the motor was not running? Then in the evening when the motor started it would engage the driveshaft because the bearing only spins one way. Is that how it would work?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Possibly... so would a one way bearing spin freely during the day when the motor was not running? Then in the evening when the motor started it would engage the driveshaft because the bearing only spins one way. Is that how it would work?
From how I understand, it would be like a bike, when you push it the pedals don't spin but when you start to push on the pedals, the wheel spins.