Scorch marks on my falcon

Iain

Full time elf
This definitely wasn’t here when I started setting up for this Christmas a few weeks ago. I just went to install my controller and noticed this scorch mark. Does anyone know what this is and more importantly how I did it and what it means? Haven’t had time to power it on today but it was likely there 2 days ago when I did a full trial… only 500 12v pixels connected.

sorry I can’t rotate and circle the mark, I’m on my mobile…
8E68520E-27F4-440A-B460-9BE2B1DC19FF.jpeg

I should mention I’ve used this for a few years, maybe 2 months in total over that time.

Katekate

Senior elf
those parts there are caps, based on the position I expect they would be after the 5v regulator for the processor parts of the board.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Iain based on the C20x label that is a small surface mount capacitor most likely a MLCC, multilayer Ceramic Cap. they are known to crack and then they will fail short and burn, just like you have.
You could clean it up, and mount a replacement if the board isn't to damaged from the burn.

Iain

Full time elf
Eek so this is probably required before I use it? That’s beyond my ability I think… I forgot I did power it on for a minute earlier today and the display came up… I have a backup everything else but not a controller!

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator

Iain

Full time elf
Thanks Kate & Phil... any ideas how to identify the capacitor value? I couldn't find a wiring diagram... I also couldn't find anything similar at Jaycar, so that probably means postage which probably means a week to the NT...

I might have to watch how to clean up the board and dust off my soldering skills... Like I have time for it but the show must go on, hey?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
means a week to the NT
I heard the NT = "Not Today, Not Tomorrow, Not Tuesday, and Not Thursday"

Check out RS Australia or Element14, maybe some others have some other good Australia based suppliers to suggest. I'll break out the magnifier in a moment and check the value for you.

Iain

Full time elf
I heard the NT = "Not Today, Not Tomorrow, Not Tuesday, and Not Thursday"
yep, that's basically it, and since flights have diminished, it's even worse.

Check out RS Australia or Element14, maybe some others have some other good Australia based suppliers to suggest. I'll break out the magnifier in a moment and check the value for you.
awesome, thanks

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Couldn't see a valuee, but the tag is C201

PXL_20211203_100008523.jpg

Anybody know how I can measure with multi meter? Can't quite remember
Edit: around 13uF

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I'll break out the magnifier in a moment and check the value for you.
unless they have screen printed the value on the board you will likely have to measure it, might need to check with falcon support for the values of C201 and C202, you need a MM with capacitance meter, in circuit thou is nearly no go.
The other place to order from would be mouser au = x-on
my best guess is they are both 0.1uf they on the last photo they are thicker than a 0.1 and more like 0.47uf commonly used in those areas. have those as well :)
looking closer they may even be different values, one look slightly larger

Iain

Full time elf
Pretty sure it’s 0805 but I’ll measure the good (less exploded) one when I get back to the board…