Scrolling Text Issue - xLights

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Hi all,

Not posted too much here before, mainly because I am still learning xLights software and pixel lights.

I have made a 20 x 60 matrix (1200) pixels, I am testing various effects on the matrix just to get a feel for it. For some reason I am having issues with scrolling text, I am basically putting up HAPPY HALLOWEEN, if I use the XL font in xLights, say the 12 -15x15 bold I can see the text in the Model Preview window and get the text to scroll across the live matrix no problem, however if I try to use a OS font (I am running windows 7 Pro BTW) whatever I choose I cannot see the text in either the Model Preview or on a live matrix.

As far as I can tell, I have everything set correctly, could I possibly have missed a setting somewher or does anyone know of this issue or seen it before?

Pushing video or images to the matrix works just fine, it is only text using an OS font that is an issue.

Any help, feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Ahhh thank you, that probably answers that question then.

Now do I have a windows 8 cd with a license left on it? I am pretty sure the old PC I am running xLights on will either not take windows 10 or run like a dog if it does....

Appreciate the help

vk3heg

Full time elf
I am pretty sure the old PC I am running xLights on will either not take windows 10 or run like a dog if it does....

Post the spec's of the machine. One way to speed up older pc's is to use a SSD instead of a HD.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Due to improvements in the code, Windows 10 generally performs better than Windows 7 on the same hardware.
An SSD as mentioned is the first thing to install if you dont have one already.

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Thank you for all of the advice, I did have a copy of windows 8.1 and managed to install that and get xLights up and running. I have tried to upgrade from windows 8.1 to 10 but it has failed several times, I need to grab a copy of the ISO and try booting and upgrading from that source.

Just had hurricane Ian trundle through us here in central Florida, so internet is pretty flaky at the moment, I will try updating again when things get back to normal in a few days, in the meantime I can still play with xLights and do some testing.

I will also look at seeing if I can put an SSD into the old HP I am running xLights on, although the 500GB HD in it seems to be serving it's purpose at the moment.