Seizure star not playing nice

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi all, my seizure star is playing hard ball , running P2, 3 nulls then 150 pix star, runs fine in test mode, then 2x 40 pix spoked stars. Checked channels and universes, no conflicts that I can find, checked sequence took out dodgy stuff, still it doesn't light up properly, any ideas as to why. P2 running at 1800 , lower no good higher just stays on (above 3000). Pulling hair out, no that I have much left after this year ,
Cheers and thanks in advance

Boof63

Benslights

Dedicated elf
try a twisted pair from a cat5 cable for your data and ev- and run at 3200 and it should fixe the problem.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

If u are running 2811 , then should be about 3200 which is what mine are at. What do you mean exactly when u say that it does not run properly ?

Does it run properly if you remove the second set of 2 stars ? If it remains on at some stage , then could be a voltage drop issue.

Are you injecting power at any point ? Are you able to test by connecting the P2 to the first element without the need to have null pixels ie much closer and see if it then works ?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Power really is the biggest cause of issues once your clock rate is set as 3200. Testing on non white everything often looks good but as soon as a sequence hits white you will end up with pixels latching up and all sorts of nonsense.

Boof63

Senior elf
The white tie up has occurred at 3600, everything freezes and goes pale white. will test run with one output only and see if P2 is holding up. as said half to 1/3rd of start lights up and then some stay on when they shouldn't. As well remove spinner stars and see.
Power is injected at end of star, 12v ws 2811's. Didn't test sequence before putting on roof because they weren't finished.
Will try 3200 and see as well.
thanks for help folks
CHeers Boof63

gerry

Senior elf
I think that the power injection is too far down. Since you are using null pixels , I guess that you have a longish lead to the first star and then 120 pixels.
I had problems with a similar set up.
Postings on the forum indicated that PI should be roughly every 100 pixels (ie 10 metres) for 12V 2811.
If u can inject power after say 50 or 70 pixels of the first star , in addition to where you have it now ie at end of star it should be fine. (which is kind of what I did but for a different setup)

Alternatively , if u can drastically shorten distance between the P2 and the first star , it may work without the additional PI.

Your symptoms are exactly those of voltage drop and occurs when white or yellow is encountered in the seq using full length wires (as I too discovered).

Boof63

Senior elf
tried higher speeds and that froze, 1800 - 2400 seems ok.
tried injecting pwr at start of lights, blew fuses.
Will pull down and look for suitable insertion point for pwr .
raining now so that will stuff up more things I sure :-[ :-[

Cheers and Thanks
Boof63

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

I don't think u can inject right at the beginning (if that is what you meant you did- because otherwise the strip is getting power via the PI connection as well as directly from the PSU).

Hence my suggestion to inject after about 50 pixels or so - that should not cause the fuses to blow.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Gerry adding power at the beginning is injecting power.

you can inject power at any location really but I like to do it every 50 pixels on 5v pixels

Boof63

Senior elf
Injected at 70 pix and no change, by elimination it must be my setup within my channels etc, problem is have been looking for conflicts in channel , output order, universes etc and can't find any errors, so suggestions please yet again!
Thanks boof63

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Yagoona,

Using the P2 , I have a direct power connection from the PSU to the beginning of the first strip. The data signal comes from the P2. In order to overcome voltage drop , I use another connection from the PSU (2 wires each doubled) for positive and ground.
I believe that I cant also connect this second connection to the beginning of the strip (eg via a T connector)?
(I am sure I did once and it also cause the fuse to blow)

this second connection should be after 50 (5V) or 100 (12 V) pixels and thereafter every 50 (5V) or 100 (12V) as a rule of thumb.

Just trying to get it clear in my head , too for next year.

Boof63

Senior elf
Still having problems, A chase sequence runs over three elements, starts on second, goes to third, then seizure star(half 'of it lights up). then back to element2. Yet in HLS runs accurate. Have checked universes - separate, preview groups/number all ok no conflict, output order -all good, buggered if I know where crossover is occurring
, checked p2 no conflict or doubled entries, all lights work on test pattern ok.
so would appear my end but stumped.
can anyone shed some light please.

Cheer Boof63 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[