Server PSU advantages/disadvantages

DarkwinX

Full time elf
So one question I have for all you Server PSU users - how do you waterproof the incoming power cable?

With the the 3 pin connector being relatively chunky, I can't imagine it would fit through a gland?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Cut off the power point end. Feed it through the gland from inside to out, then attach a new Aussie plug on it.
Or, use an on-box connector like PowerCon, and don't use a gland.

jollyzee

New elf
I'm in the states and use 3 server PS. I cut the power cord and after pushing it thru an appropriate sized glad, strip both cut end and use Wago connectors to rejoin them. I'm sure there are many other ways to reconnect, but that to me seemed fast and no mess.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I'm in the states and use 3 server PS. I cut the power cord and after pushing it thru an appropriate sized glad, strip both cut end and use Wago connectors to rejoin them. I'm sure there are many other ways to reconnect, but that to me seemed fast and no mess.
I keep wondering instead of a Wago connector if I could put a smart switch / relay inline to remotely turn them on and off and to also monitor power usage.

just not sure which smart relay would be best.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I keep wondering instead of a Wago connector if I could put a smart switch / relay inline to remotely turn them on and off and to also monitor power usage.

I cut an extension cord in half, and put a smart switch in between, this sits in a waterproof box so it means I can use it anywhere if I need somethin to be controlled any time of the year.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Along the lines of the wago connectors I was thinking of using the scotchlok style ones instead

Domestos

Apprentice elf

I've done that with a couple of Shelly 1 PM switches. Small form factor, and great app to controll them. Works with pretty much all Smart Home integrations and it has built in Power Monitoring. Here is an Amazon link for the Shelly. You can also go Sonoff as a cheaper alternative to Shelly.

Iain

Full time elf
Not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but I thought this would be a good place to post this ATX power supply to benchtop power conversion board.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005137163760.html

I found it on the Great Scott YouTube channel, so I’ve used his AliExpress affiliate link above, but you can get around that if it bothers you.

it can handle a few amps, so it might be good for pixels too!

dannyp

Full time elf
Just my 2cents. I've got both Meanwell LRS350 PSU's and a HP 1200Watt with breakout board.
The HP powersupply is noisy as, and it runs HOT.
I also found that it is pulling WAY more watts at idle.
I've got the Shelly 1 PM "smart" switches in both my controllers, the box running the 2 X LRS 350 Meanwells at idle pulls 15.8 watt. This figure does not change when props are connected.
The other box running the 1200Watt HP PSU is puling 46.5 watt. That is 3 x as much at Idle. The other interesting thing with the HP PSU is that when I conntect my props the Idle wattage increased. From memory last years show was well over 100 watt at Idle. The meanwells stayed at 15.8 watt irrespective of prop connects or not.
So if you plan on not switching your controllers off (which I think on 12v is a bad idea given the fire issues with the 12v pixels) be prepared for an additional cost in electricity.
Sorry but I’m confused. If you are using the Shelly 1PM and it is not allowing the power to flow through it to the controller, why is there a risk to the 12v pixels?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Sorry but I’m confused. If you are using the Shelly 1PM and it is not allowing the power to flow through it to the controller, why is there a risk to the 12v pixels?
I think what he's saying is that if you don't use something like the Shelly and you use a server PSU, then expect that the idle power draw of the server PSU to have a more significant impact to your electricity bill than a more "Standard" PSU like a typical Meanwell.

The risk to pixels is unrelated to the type of PSU - 12V pixels have an inherent design that is more prone to random pixels catching fire, which occurs when the pixel is powered up. Hence the recommendation to always use something like a smart switch to power down the pixels when not in use.