Setting up a show

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Wanted to test some lights today to see if the pixel tree images were worth doing. First I tried to set up an LOR show. Made the show. Tried to enable the schedule. Couldn't do this without putting in the dongle. The lights I wanted to check were on the 1.31 network. Did a test with DA e131 and all lights worked. I then did the test with my setup in xlights and all lights worked.

I then converted my lor sequence to xlights and run it and it worked. Well it worked except 2 of the strings in my 10 string tree didn't come on. Can't seem to work out where this error is. I exported a clipboard out of xlights and pasted it in lor. All ten strings seem to have the appropriate lights turn on in lor. Then when I bring this same sequence back into xlights by converting it the last 2 strings disappear again.

If I set up an effect in xlights and output to lights all strings/lights work fine so I'm assuming this means my model setup in xlights and my controller set up is right and my error must be in lor somewhere.

In lor I have exported the tree setup from vegomatic with the first channel starting at dmx universe 2 channel 1 and going up from there. My tree is 10 strings of 90 pixels. So 2700 channels. I've looked through the channels for each pixel in lor and as far as I can make out they seem ok. Starts at universe 2 channel 1 and ends at universe 7 channel 150. The setup for the 8 strings that convert ok is no different to the 2 that don't (other than the universe and channel numbers going up with each pixel).

So I have 2 problems.

How do I get lor schedule to run the 1.31 network in a show.

How do I work out where the issue in lor is with the 2 string that don't seem to come across.

penguineer

Full time elf
Is it a limitation with the license?

Apparently SuperStar with LOR-Standard is limited to 8 strings.....

More particularly, I found this on the LOR sequencing software page(http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/):
If you purchase the SuperStar addon you need to have the correct S3 license level to correctly support the software:
SuperStar 2-CCR requires Basic or higher
SuperStar 4-CCR requires Basic Plus or higher
SuperStar 8-CCR requires Standard or higher
All higher SuperStar Levels require the Advanced license

Cheers!

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks penguineer. I don't think that's it. Superstar is a separate thing to S3. I have made some more progress. This is what I've done now. I found the preferences>network setting and changed the appropriate universes to 1.31 from raw DMX. I used multicast instead of giving it an IP. Anyway if I now turn on control lights in lor then it all works and all 10 strings operate as I planned.

I did not try control lights before I changed the network preferences but I guess this did make a difference. I have not tried to run a show again yet. Will let you know.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
The other odd thing is the same show that I converted to run in xlights is now running all ten strings properly if I control lights in lor and only seemed to turn on 8 strings in xlights after conversion.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Sorry for the stagnated replies but just putting things up as I do them. I just ran a show on demand and it all worked fine (as long as left the dongle in).

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
So after all that I have stumbled my way through being able to set up my lights and set up a show in LOR and xlights. Still confused as to why I was only getting 8 strings out of the ten working when I used xlights to convert the lor sequence and then played it in xlights. Maybe it was to do with the network settings as well. I'm just happy to have my lights going.

I even tested them with the full length cables/null pixels etc required fro their final position on the roof. One less thing to worry about now. Time to hook into the sequencing.

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
Having the USB-LOR dongle in automatically sets the menu item - play, control lights to on (ticked). If you have the advanced license you can control e1.31. (DMX over Ethernet)

1. Set the universes in network preferences as you have done, easier if you set as multicast then you don't have to specify the address of the controller(s).
2. Make sure you start the LOR Control Panel, this starts the listner for the communication protocols set in the network preferences.
3. If you don't have a dongle (USB to LOR Network) plugged in then in the sequence editor menu, play, and make sure control lights is ticked.

Should be good to test.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Gareth. I noticed the listener came up when control panel was on. I have noticed I can't use the internet when listener is going. I have a separate network card for the lights network so was a bit surprised at this. Is this because I am using multicast.

cozbert

Full time elf
Multicast will smash your network with data as it just broadcasts all your e1.31 data to anything on the network, most modems cannot handle the amount of data being thrown at them and can lock up.