Setting up controllers

msherratt

New elf
I have just downloaded a free trial of this software as I am hearing a lot am saying it is a very powerful light sequencing programme. I also like to look of the scheduler.
I have heard many say it takes some getting used to so maybe I am going about this the wrong way but I am looking at setting it up with multiple controllers. From my planning I am looking at using 4 x E1.31 (16 channel) pixlite controllers bought from Advatech.
I am looking at setting each one as unicast with its own static IP address.
How does this info get put into the software settings? How does each element know which controller it is attached to?
Thanks.

livetoride

Full time elf
Hi there, I like yourself began with LSP I think its great but support for it is pretty much dead due to a massive back story that I wont bore you with. This best help I can give is to watch this video. It helped me ALOT I just downloaded it and watched it a few times.

If there's anything else let us know and ill see what I can do to help. Also look at the sticky's in this thread all the info has been posted before. Id go multicast as well as its easier to setup and work out in my opinion.

LINK ONE http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2404.0.html

! No longer available

msherratt

New elf
Thanks Daniel. I will watch the video and get back to you if I have questions. The only reason I was using unicast was that I read somewhere that it ensure no fouling of the signals and it seemed logical to me to tell the sequencer the address that I wanted a particular string of lights attached to. I am not familiar with the difference between multicast and unicast but I will take any advice on board.

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
I would suggest you also do more reading and researching about the hobby in general. If you purchased Advatek controllers, there are far more than 16 channels on a board but maybe you meant 16 ports. And if you bought 4 boards, you've got a bunch of channels to manage if you completely use each board. As for sequencing, xLights software is completely free and has new releases with new functionality and bug fixes about every week. LSP is pay software and hasn't had even a bug fix update in two years. LSP claims to be in the middle of a rewrite process for over 2 years without even a public beta test so it's hard to say definitively where the software may or may not be headed (there was only video that I know of for the new version and that was almost 12 months ago and no confirmation of its validity). Free software equals more money for pixels. That being said, there are lots of folks here who have years of experience with LSP and if you invest the time and money you may be able to reach their level of expertise.

msherratt

New elf
Thanks for all your advice. Thanks for correcting me on the configuration of the pixlite controller. I did mean 16 ports or universes in my original post and not 16 channels.

i13

Dedicated elf
The PixLite 16 allows 2 universes per output port.