Shot bags

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
I've used a couple of different types of sandbags over the last two season to secure elements to my tiled roof, a Polywoven type and a hessian type. Both types worked, however after 30 days in the sun the Polywoven deteriorated and fell apart when being removed, UV damage, even with claims they were UV stable. The hessian type worked better, but they leaked sand.

I was looking at using shot bags this season, does anyone know if they are UV stable and would last a few years? Whats a good brand and not to expensive?

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the link, they would be suitable, though questionable quality going by the Amazon reviews, how have you found them? They're certainly alot cheaper than the standard filled Shot bag.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Ah I didn't realise shot bags were prefilled. In terms of putting them on the roof and pulling them down they are ok, don't drop them from the roof, they pop. Sharp objects can certainly rip the open, especially the older sun exposed ones. I've had that happen a few times. They are cheep and cheerful, yeah have to be careful with the zip but the price/performance ratio is doing ok for me.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
I have a few old traffic shot bags, yeah they are yellow or orange, but they have lived outside for years.

I think these are the same ones I have but cannot be sure.

use some black cloth over the top of them to hide, an old pair of pants cut, or a sheet work well, and if you were going to throw them away, they get a seccond life.

the other suggestion is to buy some builders plastic to cover.

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
I have a few old traffic shot bags, yeah they are yellow or orange, but they have lived outside for years.

I think these are the same ones I have but cannot be sure.

use some black cloth over the top of them to hide, an old pair of pants cut, or a sheet work well, and if you were going to throw them away, they get a seccond life.

the other suggestion is to buy some builders plastic to cover.

They would definitely be UV stable wouldn't they, much more than the black ones the entertainment industry uses though. But the price though....You got yourself a good find getting 2nd hand ones.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
They would definitely be UV stable wouldn't they, much more than the black ones the entertainment industry uses though. But the price though....You got yourself a good find getting 2nd hand ones.
Oh yeah, the guy I got mine from, stored them permanently in the back of his ute. I heavy regret not getting a heap more.