Should I run a dedicated run of Ethernet for my show, or use my main network?

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
Ideally I could just plug my e1.31 Ethernet switch into my router, give it an IP and access the lights from a computer on the network... not sure if this is possible, maybe someone can tell me.

Another thing I thought of was making a separate wireless network and connecting 2 wifi routers to each other one to the show and one to my PC or just putting the router near the show ethernet switch and using the wifi to connect to the show router. Is this a bad idea? is wireless a bad idea? I think the IP thing could work well if it is possible. basically like this http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Routerconnecte131.png but I would connect to the router wireless, so I could control the show from any computer wirelessly connected to the network.

Otherwise I have wifi on my show computer and an Ethernet port. I could dedicate wifi to the internet and the Ethernet for the show and just run cat 5 through my house from show PC to the outside of my house. I can run the wires, but my question is it worth it, or should I try something else like I mentioned

Edit: I found this http://www.lightjams.com/sacn.html not sure if could do what I'm looking for and what it requires to setup. Have any of you used it?

Habbosrus

Back again
I run a separate network for my show. I have an 8 port router with WiFi. Got it cheap on eBay. I run my show via FPP on a Raspberry PI. I access the Pi via my phone, Ipad or laptop during the show if need be.
I think the general rule is to have a separate show network from your home network, as you don't want interference from either.
There are many ways to obtain what you want to do and this is just one example. There are many, more knowledgeable members here and I'm sure they'll provide you with some great options.

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
ok thanks. I have the equipment to run a second network dedicated to show. I just wanted to access the network from my computer upstairs. not sure if I can do that wireless and if that will negatively affect the show in any way. If it does I'll just run Ethernet to my show PC

Crazydave

New elf
I run two networks. Both sequencing and show computers have Two network cards ( one for lights and one for home computer network)

This keeps the show traffic off my home network, but still lets me quickly transfer files from the sequencing computer to the show computer