silicon tubes or silicon coating?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
That "type" of coating on one side does indeed have the nasty property of peeling away from the strip quite easily. Hopefully as the technology and material research continues there will be better improvements in the area of covering.
I would still recommend using the strip that is not only covered but has the silicon tubng over it as well. It provides an additional layer of protection for the strip. Also the double sided tape is somewhat of a nuisance to me. It does provide a means to quickly stick the strip up but once it fails it is tough to remove and/or replace it. I got some of the strip without the tape backer and found that using neutral silicone dabs or dots on things to hold the strip made life much easier in the long run. The silicone will hold the strip quite well but can be pulled off with little effort and cleanly. So repairs if needed can be made easily as well.
I also have been experimenting with clear polycarbonate tubing with the strips to make frames for around windows or small items. The clear poly tubing is pretty much indestructible and works well in sub freezing temps if need be. It makes a nice way to use the regular strip without any tape backer or the silicone tubing cover. I just need to see how long it will hold up in the weather as to whether or not it will protect the strip from UV or not. It supposedly has UV protection to it so it should but like everything else, a real world test over time will show if it does.

Skunberg

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
Ray Wu also sells the silicone tube and end caps separately. If you were keen you could carefully replace the tubing after a few seasons.

Hi David, I've seen the end caps at Ray's store, but couldn't find the tubing. I thought I should get some when I place my order for WS2803 chips and power supplies. Do you have a link or something?

Brian

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Skunberg said:
David_AVD said:
Ray Wu also sells the silicone tube and end caps separately. If you were keen you could carefully replace the tubing after a few seasons.

Hi David, I've seen the end caps at Ray's store, but couldn't find the tubing. I thought I should get some when I place my order for WS2803 chips and power supplies. Do you have a link or something?

Brian

Hey Brian
Here is a link to the tubing for you.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50m-Silicon-tube-8mm-10mm-12mm-optional/701799_459153007.html

Skunberg

Full time elf
Bill Ellick said:
Skunberg said:
David_AVD said:

Brian

Hey Brian
Here is a link to the tubing for you.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50m-Silicon-tube-8mm-10mm-12mm-optional/701799_459153007.html

Thank you very much!!! I missed it somehow, with so few items in stock how could that happen? :)