Simple but sophisticated (with question)

TerryK

Retired Elf
The video leaves out some information that is listed in the YouTube comments. From the comments he is using a Adafruit NeoPixel Library to control the data stream timing to the pixels which started as WS2801s and RPi Zero and ended with a RPi3 and WS2811s.

My take is the controller is the RPi. What I'm not sure of is what is running on the laptop; the sequence, 3D code, just the interface to the RPi, or combination of? For a 92 pixel string do you need a controller? Yes, but it does not need to be a full blown unit like a Falcon. Like this or a small ESPixelstick, BBB, or Arduino will work.

neonexpresso

New elf
The pi has 2 pwm outputs that can run the pixels. I've seen discussions of connecting pixels direct to this pins, but most people use a pixel hat similar to these

TerryK

Retired Elf
What one runs into and it has been an ACL Forum topic is the output data levels. There are a few exceptions but most pixels are 5 volt devices and the ICs pretty much like to see a 0 or 5 volt voltages on their data inputs. Different ICs have slightly varying thresholds and 'windows' but the 0 or 5 is fairly consistent. RPis, BBBs and some of the other small controllers only put out a 3.3 volt high rather than the 5 volt.
Hats, capes, or whatever make it easier to connect a string to the processing unit along with converting the 0 to 3.3 to a 0 to 5 Volt data signal (level shifting). Other features or capability not on the small board computer such as fuses, connectors, and in some cases DMX outputs.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking but can one run a string from a small board computer directly? Yes, of course, or at least usually yes (some combinations aren't going to work). Most individuals use a daughter board of some type.