Simple pixel controller for beginner

Jkay83

New elf
Hi Everyone,

After reading the 101 manual and some research I am still confused as to what controller to use.

Just looking at doing a couple of small displays this year. Around a large window, around a pillar. Would be looking at approx. 8m of strips for window display and 10m for pillar. Would it be easier/cheaper to run 1 controller for each display or buying one that can accommodate both displays. Dont need any complex effects just something basic.

vk3heg

Full time elf
This is my first year with pixel's, so I'm starting off with a Raspberry pi rPI-28D from Hanson Electronics. Link
It's going to be driving 1026 pixel's, devided up on it's two ports.

BobMLT

New elf
This is my first year also, and due to time and budget constraints have decided to get a couple of pixel testers from Hanson (AAH - Thanks mate - very quick postage!!!!) Link. They are incredibly cheap for a couple of strings and will save you time programming. Next year I intend coughing up for a falcon controller and will (hopefully) have more time to sit down and put together a show.

Jkay83

New elf
This is my first year also, and due to time and budget constraints have decided to get a couple of pixel testers from Hanson (AAH - Thanks mate - very quick postage!!!!) Link. They are incredibly cheap for a couple of strings and will save you time programming. Next year I intend coughing up for a falcon controller and will (hopefully) have more time to sit down and put together a show.
Thanks mate. Sounds like what I'll probably do this year.

How many strips can you run off these testers?

BobMLT

New elf
The website (linked in my post) says 2048pixels so depends on how may you have per strip, but you may need to do power injection depending on you number of pixels in total. I haven't tested my tester yet, but perhaps Al Hanson (AAH) may be able to shed some light.

Jkay83

New elf
The website (linked in my post) says 2048pixels so depends on how may you have per strip, but you may need to do power injection depending on you number of pixels in total. I haven't tested my tester yet, but perhaps Al Hanson (AAH) may be able to shed some light.
That should be plenty for what I want to do this year.

I've gone ahead and purchased a few already.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.