Singing Faces Eyes

Babybear

New elf
So far I have made gift boxes, candles and snowflakes out of coro. Now I want to make some singing faces to narrate my show. My question is how to make the eyes go black? I'm looking at starting to build this week.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi BB,

at the risk of sounding rude, you get black from turning the pixels off... ;)

Cheers
Fing

Babybear

New elf
some reason the video is gone... But I'm not sure it will tell me how to light up the black. Ok I know that sounds off. Light up black. Coro with no light is white, If you paint the back side black then it will not light up white when needed. So thats why I'm looking for the trick.

Babybear

New elf
Fing Your faces are great. Any pix of them would be helpful. Being rude your not. Just have not got that far into some testing.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Babybear said:
some reason the video is gone... But I'm not sure it will tell me how to light up the black. Ok I know that sounds off. Light up black. Coro with no light is white, If you paint the back side black then it will not light up white when needed. So thats why I'm looking for the trick.

Coro is only white in the daytime ;) At night you can't tell the front is white, when you light around an area the non lit parts appear black to our eyes. My faces were not exposed to any direct light on the front which helped. the little video I posted was all i got before Thor struck, and it's shot at sunset. at night the faces were quite bright which increased the contrast dramatically.

Cheers
Fing

Babybear

New elf
Thank you....
Its great to share ideas with others even when they are on the other side of the world. Today I will be picking up a few sheets of coro and start my layouts. Off to work now outside a little cold -25c

logandc99

Dedicated elf
With traditional signing faces, the background of the face is black and the face and mouth parts are visible by turning the lights on. That means that when you have eyes open, the lights for the eyse are on. If you want them to blink, you turn them off briefly. With a face like Olaf, the whole background of the face is lit up so to have the eyes look open, you actually turn the lights in the eyes off to give the appearance of black pupils and hence opwn eyes. If you want them to blink, you briefly turn the lights in the eyes on making it look like a white eyelid has come down and covered the pupils (the blink), and then turn the lights off again to make it look like he has opened his eyes again (black pupils visible). So it's sort of the reverse of what you do for usual singing faces.
Hope that makes sense :)