Smart Module and DMX help needed...

ShayneT

Apprentice elf
I want to add smart strips to outline my house and am thinking of an E682. The placement is approximate and gives about 10 feet to each strip. I am thinking of locating it here in case I decide to use smart pixels to outline my windows instead of dumb.

I was thinking of converting the existing MR16 LEDs for the tombstones and use three - '3 LED 5050' modules for each tombstone. At first I was thinking dumb would be plenty but I am thinking maybe smart modules so I can change each one. Why you may ask - I am thinking if I have one on as orange, one red, one yellow and alternate it I may be able to give the illusion of fire. I have done it before with incandescent spots so think LED may be able to work also. I think the data will degrade from the E362 to the yard so I was thinking of the mini-DMX protocol converter (
http://www.aliexpres..._340705630.html)
and run four sets of three 2801 or 6803 modules from, tombstone to tombstone. I know the picture looks like a hub but in application I was just planning on a simple inline series.

Here is where my knowledge (or assumed knowledge) ends. Can these convertors be simple added to a DMX line? Does each one need a dedicated dongle? Or can it be programmed to one at say channels 1-36 and the other side of the yard channels 37-72, all on the same universe? Or would it just be simplest to put 3-4 nulls modules?

And if this can be driven off of a DMX chain can I use a DMX universe off the E682?

[attachimg=1]This getting so very exciting.

Shayne

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 162

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The setup you describe will work but there are many ways to achieve the same outcome as its not the most cost effective option in my eyes.

I will compare the option you presented with the option I believe is the most coste effective to achieve the same result.

Your Option

Sandevices E682 $180.00 Built and tested
DMX dd controller $15.75 for DMX controller
2801 Strip $66.32 for 5 metres
2801 modules $17.50 for 20 modules

TOTAL $279.57

My Option

J1SYS ECG-P2 $64.00 Built and Tested
2811 Strip $36.00 for 5 metres
2811 Modules $14.00 for 20 modules

TOTAL $114.00

As you can see there is a big difference in price for achieving the same result and the cheaper option has some advantages as well.

The 2811 strip and modules can achieve a greater distance between nodes than the 2801, the 2811 is 3 wire instead of 4 wire so less connecting wires. The 2811 and 2801 are both 8 bit dimming, the 6803 is only 5 bit dimming and these days is not the best cost effective choice.

Then there is the controller choice. Both the E682 and the ECG-P2 can do upto 8 universe of lighting. The E682 does it over 16 outputs, the ECG-P2 does it over 2 outputs. The ECG-P2 will give you far better value per channel over the E682 if you use the standard pixels like the 2801, 2811 as the E682 has a lot more pixel support, but this is only an advantage if using a pixel type that is not supported by the ECG-P2.

The reason i chose the ECG-P2 and the 2811 modules and strip are primarily the cost but as well this setup will suit well to what you want to do. I would mount the controller on the left side of your house, use one output to drive your gutter/outline strip and use the second output to drive the modules. You will only have the one E1.31 device so you will not require a network switch, you will not rwquire a seperate DMX universe, so this setup also offers the simplest setup requirements. The DD 2801 DMX controller is very cheap and basic and reliability of these is questionable, i have 3 of these controllers.

The ECG-P2 currently does not officially support the 2811 strip or modules, it will run them using the 1804 output but will give some flicker so its currently good enough for testing only. But J1SYS will soon offer the official 2811 support and this is very easy to update the controller when this update arrives. The E682 latest firmware update allows 6 universe, 8 universe support will be avalable with future releases. The firmware update of the E682 is a little more difficult to do than the ECG-P2

Just my thoughts, but as i said up top the setup you described will also work, so the choice really goes down to what you want to do and what makes you feel comfortable.

ShayneT

Apprentice elf
Thank you for the information.
One thing I did not mention is I am planning running 5m strips on side of the house off each side. The J1SYS ECG-P2 would work well as the strips meet like a 'v'.
Can 2811 handle 25-30 feet without degrading too much? If so maybe a ECG-PIXAD8 may work. Does shielded cable help? Can a 2811 pixel regenerate the signal for 2811 modules?
And lastly, will 2 or 3 modules alternating color give the faux fire look I think it will?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The great thing about the 2811 is that it is has a specifcation of 20 metres (this will vary significantly based on many factors) between pixels compared to 6 metres for the 2801. So the 2811 is a far better choice when wanting to make longer runs between pixels.

If the distance is too far then just use a dummy pixel or you can use the ECG-PPX which can extend the pixel signal to over 100 metres. So there are options there.

The ECG-PIXAD8 and the ECG-P12R will also do what you want at a better cost per channel than the E682 but for what your planning i find the ECG-P2 in my opinion would suit your layout for the best cost.

The difference is that controllers like the E682, P12R and PixAD8 have their output in a parrallel fashion with the power distribution from the controller iteslf. The ECG-P2 takes on a serial approach where you can have up to 4 universe (12 strips) per output with power distribution done seperate to the controller. So depending on the approach you want would determine they type of controller you will need.

Now as far as a 2811 strip being able to generate the signal for a 2811 module then yes it can do this as i have 24 candy canes i have built and tested that are made up of 2811 strip for the straight part and 4 x 2811 modules for the candy cane bend, these all work together without any issue. The only thing to take note of though is that the RGB orientation is different between the 2811 strip and the 2811 modules, but this is easily changed via software or in the hardware configuration.

I reakon having 3 or more modules will give you the desired effect, you may need to play around a little to get the best result.