Answered Smart or dumb that is my question

ross eling

New elf
Generous elf
If I put smart strips instead of dumb. Will it work using a dumb control.
I no I can't make dumb strips smart but can I make smart strips dumb

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
(Smart) pixels and dumb rgb require a different controller. One of the benefits of using (smart) pixels as opposed to dumb rgb is the flexibility to control each pixel individually which also means you can turn the whole string/strip the same color just like dumb rgb. I made the mistake of buying a lot of dumb rgb when I started... Smart pixels will require a different controller but its very easy to make (smart) pixels dumb on the sequencing side of things.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Sorry, but the answer i s no.
Dumb pixels are dc controlled and require a dc controller. The controller turns each channel on by out putting power to Red, green or Blue or a combination of two or three at different intensity to make different colours. The complete string/strip turns on at that one colour
Smart pixels operate on DC power also, however the power is constantly on to the string/strip and controller sends a digital signal out along a data cable and can turn on one or many Leds at any time and make them any colour. The signal goes out from the controller and an IC chip connected to every led is listening for a command to turn it on. A Dumb DC controller does not send that signal so none of the LED's will turn on.

Read up on the 101 lighting manual - its a great start and a great help to trying to understand what's out there

ross eling

New elf
Generous elf
Thankyou that answer my question. All my lights are smart the controller I use is preprogrammed (HC008)
This year I was looking at something harder lepping archers / singing Christmas tree thanks for all your help