Smartalec Lights 2013 - an suggestions for 2014

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Without any sort of decent overall vid that shows things clearly it's impossible to say what to put and where. Having closeups doesn't allow anyone to envisage what is in the display.
On another note do you have some wicked smears across your camera lens as there is what appears to be smears through most of the bits of the video I skimmed through.
Maybe pop up some photos so it's possible to get the placement of what is shown in the closeups.

Bird

LOR user
Agree with Alan a little.
However, from what I can see (watching the whole thing) I don't see any reason to add anything.
You have a lot already, candy canes, acrylic tubes, stars, arches, roof outline, floods, figurines, Merry Christmas sign, mega tree, and more.
So, IMO, more may not mean better.
I like what you did with the tune to sign & your Merry Christmas sign.
Suggestions:
Extend tree center up to star so you can do a sort of firework.
You have a lot of very clean lines on your elements. errr, well hummm what happened to the mega tree? :D
Overall very nice display with lots of elements.

Also like your messages at 4:40 & 9:18

Sam

I have got C.L.A.P
More Avicii Songs (There was one before 6:00)

Maybe non light effects eg. air cannons or something impressively different

Benslights

Dedicated elf
not bad alec but as alan says do you have some still pictures as in some places it was hard to see what is what
like your music mix Alec

Skunberg

Full time elf
Wonderful display! I like the transition between songs. Part of the video issue is to shut off the auto-focus.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
great effort alec, its unfortunate that the video doesnt do it any justice, just keep adding to it and make sure everything has a logical place, not good to just throw lights and elements at a display just for the sake of it.

Karob

Let there be Light!
Great work Alec,

Mix sounds great and the voice overs make it very professional.

I too suffer from the lack of a quality video camera but will have to weigh up the cost of a new camera over the cost of more pixels, hmmm big decision to make.

Without seeing the display in person I would not be able to offer assistance to help work out what to add

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Well i Ended up downloading the youtube an put it on vimeo for the less shakyness
https://vimeo.com/84928838

1463177_698459823499087_1405750403_n.jpg

1461028_698459870165749_432970094_n.jpg
1452467_694026167275786_1878026121_n.jpg

249010_593514573993613_764764420_n.jpg

Hows that.. for daytime an item shots..
i have a shocking yard hey.

If people are intrested here's the Lighting details :-
12 ledancers
8 coro stars
8 rgb tint tubes
7 led plastic blow moulds
6 pixel candy canes
5 RGB floods
4 Acl Strobe strings(10 strobes on each)
3 modified icle lights
2 RGB Archs
1 Pixel Star - Megatree
12 strands of dumb rgbw - megatree
1 Dumb star up top of house
1 coro snowflake
1 merry christmas sign

richardd

Full time elf
I was wondering if you could provide some details on how you made your "Tune to" sign

Cheers
Richard

mborg10

Michael Borg
Looks good. Id maybe suggest adding another 2 or 4 arches so that you can do a bounce effect across the yard. As displays get bigger the audience can lose some of the detail that you put so much effort into. so when you bounce with the arch it can help highlight areas or elements on your yard you want people to look at. Draws the focus from one side to the other.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
First off..
richardd - i did the paint wait, but cutting out a vinyel sheet is easyer..
having said that.. http://www.smartaleclights.com/index.php?page=coro&cat=tuneto is the howto link

Damicka10 - The Picket poles that do the fence line (or tint tubes as people see) i was going to do arch's across there, but i did'nt know if it would be too many light objects along the fence line..

mborg10

Michael Borg
smartalec said:
Damicka10 - The Picket poles that do the fence line (or tint tubes as people see) i was going to do arch's across there, but i did'nt know if it would be too many light objects along the fence line..

You can never have too many lights. It's all in the sequencing. No point in just turning everything on together cause it can get messy.

I'm still learning as well but I try to think of the lights as telling the story of the song and taking the viewer on a journey, not just BAM, here's all my lights.

firebug

Senior elf
As I mentioned in chat mate. Outline the Bedford. Magnetic strip from office works will hold the strip lights on. Edges of the body, window outlines, wheels, headlights, etc... Inflatable lit Santa in the driver seat. Maybe corro presents hanging out the back or side door depending on how you position it in the yard. .. :D

mborg10

Michael Borg
firebug said:
As I mentioned in chat mate. Outline the Bedford. Magnetic strip from office works will hold the strip lights on. Edges of the body, window outlines, wheels, headlights, etc... Inflatable lit Santa in the driver seat. Maybe corro presents hanging out the back or side door depending on how you position it in the yard. .. :D

Agreed....
Or maybe some money bags. Every bank job ever has used a Bedford van haha