So, have you got it written down?

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi everyone,
well you've planned and built and installed, and then you've tested and tuned and tweaked and added extra power injection and now it's finally working!

my question is "have you written down your modified configuration details?"

imagine what would happen if you lost a controller? do you know it's settings? ip address? are the outputs reversed or zigzag ? is the order RGB or BRG ?

We all talk about backing up our computer files, may i suggest you "back up" all your controller configs and hardware connection details as well., because when the lightning hits and fries everything it is a real PIA to have to recalculate and re-configure everything....
(ask me how I know..lol)

Cheers
Fing

Kitman

Full time elf
You do know all too well Mr Lightning rod.

Screen shots taken of all my controller config screens, screen shots taken of all my FPP setting screens and a backup off all my vixen sequences and currently backing up my Vixen configuration files. Now to copy them to my Mrs PC so I have them across 2 devices just to be sure.

Great thinking though Fing always pays to make sure you have a good backup of everything so it's easy to put back.

marmalade

cats & pixels
I thought I had everything in excel and details marked in texta on each controller.

Then was asked one night 'why is the reindeers nose green?'

Soon found out I didn't save the RGB (BGR,GBR etc) details of each strip and it defaulted to RGB. Had to painfully find each ones setting again by running inside and outside a few dozen times. :eek:
[/size]

cdjazman

Full time elf
I have my setup including all xlights data in Dropbox.

I also have Dropbox set to automatically capture screenshots (printscreen button PrtSc)

Also excel spreadsheet of controllers layout and pixel / channel count.

I also have got pics of standard wiring configuration I use so I can do quick reference when making new stuff or leads. Sometimes hard to remember once you have heat shrink covering the wires.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the timely reminder Fing.
I have spreadsheets with all of what goes where and channels universes etc etc.
But I know for a fact that one of my f16's would take ages to setup again, because I used leftover strips and they happened to be different rgb setup, so I had to create many virtual strings within strings to get it right.
I will be taking screenshots of that next time I power up for sure.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Haha yes is definitely on my list of things to do and constantly thinking I should do that . Just been given another list of things to do from her indoors before xmas day blah so that will be pushed to bottom of the list .I also have two elements with mixed up rgb brg etc etc so will need to number and label whilst dismantling otherwise will be chaos next season . but will I lol thanks for reminder fing merry xmas guys goodluck

if any of our elements have mixed order, we now write BRG, RGB, or whatever next to the inputs... also if the data/ ground has been swapped (dont ask... headaches from last year)... I should also clearly mark which ones are 12V and 5V rather than rely on memory.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Lots of very good ideas.

I plan to take lots of pictures and write everything down, when I pull my display down this (1st) year. Otherwise, I know in 12 months time I'll go "how the HoHoHo did I do that last year"

multicast

Senior elf
While i agree with the sentiment of writing it all down, theres a lot to be said for keeping everything in your show as consistent as possible. Theres 10 ways to do some thigns, just choose one and stick with it across all the similar elements. It will be easier!

OzAz said:
Lots of very good ideas.

I plan to take lots of pictures and write everything down, when I pull my display down this (1st) year. Otherwise, I know in 12 months time I'll go "how the HoHoHo did I do that last year"

JPB

Full time elf
I have an excel file on dropbox and a folder with clear pockets that contains print outs of the dropbox file and other useful stuff.
Having the print out in the folder means i can carry it with me. And it saved me big time last night. I dont know how but i set my universe count to 0 in FPP. 10 minutes of panic and i was able to enter it all back in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

the grinch

Yeah thx fing two rasberry pi s just crashed earlier today was resetting hardwired timer and must of spiked them not happy little pies hadto reformat and set them up again 1 is up and running again frantically working on the other going too be close . All I keep thinking about is your advice as nothing backed up lol luckily the old grey matter is saving my HoHoHo at moment .but yes very good advice mate am kicking myself now trust me

the grinch

All fixed just in time but why on xmas eve ? Then too top it all off bought another bubble machine from jaycar as part of xmas present for crazy light lady for tonight GUESS WHAT didn't work warranty has been voided but working now daddy fixed lol good luck and merry xmas all

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.