software

Dennisl

New elf
Hi everyone I am a 5year long user of light o rama software and controllers starting to switch over to rgb dumb and smart pixels I know lor is limited on channels should I consider switching to light show pro for software and can I use my lor controllers have 10 16 channel ac 10 dc and 12 ccr's any advice would be helpful thanks Dennis Laff

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
well, obviously you have yourself quite a decent setup at the moment. The setup you have can easily be controlled by other software also, but it comes down to a user's preference.

LSP currently is probably the best software to control large amounts of RGB and pixels due to its ability to control and process large quantities of channels. But there are also other avenues you could go. LOR can control as you know the things you are suggesting, however you may require additional plugins / modules to do certain things easier.

If you were to ask me direct, I would say LSP is the way to go, but my display is pure pixels, but others including Karob use LOR for both normal and pixel lighting

Perhaps try downloading the demo version of LSP and see what you think, again, it can and usually will be a personal preference

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
LOR is fine to stick to until you go to thousands of channels and then the limitations become the fact that it becomes a major pita to draw up pixel elements. I'm planning on getting about 2k channels up this year and I'll be sticking with LOR. If you're looking at doing some sort of pixel matrix then you may want to look at LSP but Seans Nutcracker does some amazing things.

G

GoofyGuy

For what its worth in your current display LOR will have no major issues with. As you start to add pixels and the channel count explodes is where some of us are having a lot of trouble. Im not sure what the number is but once you hit I know over 10k LOR takes its sweet time to do anything.
I like the LOR sequencer and I do not make any hints about it. I have converted to LSP and its not an easy transition from LOR to LSP don't let anyone fool you other wise. What LSP does bring to the table is actual mapping of the lights and pixels on a 2D plane. You can fool it into 3D. So when you want a full fade of all elements left to right, up and down, diagonals it can process these effects for you. No more hunting for proper order. Every element will light when it is suppose to. Another benefit of LSP is effects can be drawn straight into the setup, video, even gifs. No need for Nutcracker (which I highly regard as a great add on for any software you use).
Its all about comfort too. You have used LOR a lot longer than me, and it was a struggle to get use to LSP once you've driven the LOR setup into memory from thousands of hours of sequencings. No matter what way you go, as always start early.

Dennisl

New elf
Thanks for all the advice .not sure which way to go. I want to add a pixel tree this year was told on lor forum that with 12 ccr's and 20 lor controller might be over the channel limit thank Dennis

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Dennis: I am an LOR user and biased. With that said, just from a financial standpoint 2013 should be LOR. You are already invested in LOR and to jump out and spend another $400 for LSP would be a big hit. There are a lot cheaper ways to make your tree than CCR's and LOR will handle them with no problems. 10K of channels equates to roughly 3000 pixels. That's a lot of pixels. All sequencing software is going to go through major upgrades this summer including LOR. Just saying that you are comfortable with LOR now and learning pixels with it will be easier than changing sequencing software and learning pixels. You might take a look at HLS as it is getting better every day and is free. Also nutcracker is getting very powerful and easily converts to LOR sequences. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
John

Dennisl

New elf
Thanks John I'm in no big hurry I guess I could wait and see what lor comes out with . thanks Dennis