Soldering RGB SMD PLCC6 LED's

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi

Here's a 13 minute video showing me soldering those little 5mmx5mm RGB SMD LED's that i am using for my megatre and that many people have purchased recently in a coop at DIYC

In the video i solder 7 LED's in series to make a RGB section that will eventually become part of a longer string.

The wire/cable used is 28AWG ribbon cable, the spacing of the conductors being close to the spacing on the solder pads on the LED's. Close being the operative word.

I would normally lay 28 of them out at a time and solder 4 sections.

Soldering PLCC6-5050 RGB LEDS

Cheers
Phil

solidmodeler

New elf
Looks Good :D. Hoping to take your example and do my LED's when they get in from the Coop. Need to get with you to get a controller to go with the strings.

Just curious how many joints do you average with the 10 cc syringe of solder paste?

Michael

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
solidmodeler said:
Looks Good :D. Hoping to take your example and do my LED's when they get in from the Coop. Need to get with you to get a controller to go with the strings.

Just curious how many joints do you average with the 10 cc syringe of solder paste?

Michael

Michael

The original solder paste i was using for the led's was a couple of years old and it was a chance to use it up, not sure how much was left or what i used but it did around 2000 leds.

I'm expecting around the same number from a new 10cc..

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
smartalec said:
thats a great video phil.
one question, is the paste solder better than normal solder?
Or was it what you had around at the time?
alec

Alec,

I have done it both ways, with normal solder and paste, for me paste is faster and that is important for the quantity i have to do.
It tends to be a bit messy when it splatters but still faster.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great stuff Phil, I just may eventually have a go at doing that myself one day. Looks like that's the way its all heading anyway, so might as well start learning and having a go at SMD soldering

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Alec

The camera was not zoomed at all from memory but it has only about 300mm away though :)

I use a 3x diopter magnifier all the time these days working with small parts.

Cheers
Phil

kel

Dedicated elf
Fab video ... and for a moment, I thought that looks easy (btw, it does)! That was until I tried to buy some stuff ... blue tac (check), solder station (not a good one ... but check), paste (no go), 28AWG ribbon cable (no go) ... and obviously, I don't have the LEDs ... lol

However, my realisation, after watching the vid several times, is that even if I had everything in front of me I do not know how to tin anything ... so my question becomes, could you supply a vid on the tinning aspect of the 28AWG ribbon cable, pls?

ThaiWay

1500 C9's are not green

kel

Dedicated elf
Thanks Randy and Phil ... now, I understand!

Questions:

Q1 Where do you buy the 28AWG ribbon cable locally?

Q2 By the looks of the cable, is it the same as the old ide/fdd cables? If so, I have found some to practise on :D

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
kel said:
Thanks Randy and Phil ... now, I understand!

Questions:

Q1 Where do you buy the 28AWG ribbon cable locally?

Q2 By the looks of the cable, is it the same as the old ide/fdd cables? If so, I have found some to practise on :D

A1
http://www.rockby.com.au/searchres.cfm?select=39&subcode=198&stock_no=17822
(they never have much stock but do get the rolls on a regular basis)

A2.
Spot on - same as floppy drive and old 40 wire IDE cables.

Cheers
Phil