Some Pixels losing their red color

Nick Cosper

New elf
I am running some 12 volt strips, the bulbs per channel. I am starting to get pixels that are losing the red channel. All three bulbs in the channel will lose that red color. I am guessing that the chips are going bad.
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, they are varying distances from the power on injections, not near anything that could be physically damaging them.

Anyone seen this before? Any idea why this would be happening? I had to take down and replace four pixels today and when I turned the lights on tonight I found four more. Incredibly frustrating!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Red is usually the colour that fails first because it runs at a lower voltage (approx 2.3 volts) than the green and blue (approx 3.2 volts) but if you are seeing lots of failures then this may be because the LEDS are either low quality or the wrong resistor value has been used for the red colour which allows a higher voltage for the red LED

Nick Cosper

New elf
Interesting... I transformers I have have voltage adjustments. I believe I have them near the middle. Would it be beneficial to lower them?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You could try to lower them but this may have an effect on the distance you can run your strip without seeing the effects of voltage drop because you need a minimum of approx 9.6 volts at the end of your strip to not see the effects of voltage drop.
But lowering the voltage may help in this case if there is a incorrect resistor fitted.

Nick Cosper

New elf
I lowered them as much as I could without losing functionality. I have them injected at the ends if not in the middle so I'm not losing too much as the strips continue. Hopefully it will help but I'm going to have to talk to Ray and see what he will do.
Thanks!

zoobmarine

New elf
Are these from Ray? How many hours so you estimate that had been used?

What kind are?

Nick Cosper

New elf
These are from Ray,
I ran my pixels like this last year but they were all 5v and I'm starting to wonder if this is contributing... I leave my power transformers on 24/7. I just have xlights run the schedule when the time hits. Since these pixels might be suffering from too much voltage/resistor issues I am thinking that having voltage running through them constantly is shortening their life. How do most people run them? Do you put your boards/transformers on timers?
These strips have run for approximately 7 hours with lights on. However they have probably seen a total of 10 days 24/7 with voltage to them.

The pixels I have are the 6th item in the attachment, straight from my order from Ray. I really quite disappointed in this last order from Ray. These pixels seem to be suffering from this issue and all of the T's have shorts. My other orders all went well aside from a stray pixel here or there.

Attachments

• HTB18rhkGXXXXXcrXFXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg
    HTB18rhkGXXXXXcrXFXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 20

Nick Cosper

New elf
Just went out and installed some wall timers to control the circuit that runs the lights. They will now be without power except for the show and 30 minutes padding on each end. Hopefully that will help!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Leaving them on shouldnt have caused them to fail, it will be interesting to see by lowering the voltage if you will continue to see failures.

Nick Cosper

New elf
What I've found to be interesting is that they don't appear to be going bad during the show. I lost a number of them before the show started. They would be working fine one day then be off all night (with voltage running) the. The next day a few would be bad. I changed things to not have power during the day and thus far no more failures.

Nick Cosper

New elf
Well I just turned on my lights for the first time since halloween, 21 bad chips. They have been sitting, in place, undisturbed, no power and 21 bad pixels. So incredibly frustrated!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Nick Cosper said:
Well I just turned on my lights for the first time since halloween, 21 bad chips. They have been sitting, in place, undisturbed, no power and 21 bad pixels. So incredibly frustrated!

Seems like it may be a water ingress issue that others have been suffering if its the pixel strings from Ray. Is this a different issue to the reds failing.
I sympathise with you, after so much work to then be hit due to bad quality pixels.

Nick Cosper

New elf
Water ingress? So the silicon sleeves are seeping water in? I guess that possible from dew but it literally hasn't rained a drop since I turned them off. I just ordered some strips from Holiday Coro. I'm going to replace the strips that are effected the most and then spot treat the others I guess.

Has Ray given any remedy to anyone that is having these issues? We spend a lot of money with him for this to end up being junk.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Nick Cosper said:
Water ingress? So the silicon sleeves are seeping water in? I guess that possible from dew but it literally hasn't rained a drop since I turned them off. I just ordered some strips from Holiday Coro. I'm going to replace the strips that are effected the most and then spot treat the others I guess.

Has Ray given any remedy to anyone that is having these issues? We spend a lot of money with him for this to end up being junk.

Sorry i was thinking the pixel strings, the strip should be fine from water and if water did get in this can be easily seen.

But your high level of failiures is definetly concerning and i would start looking at things like your power supply in case that is putting a spike through thats blowing pixels when powered up. What power supply are you using?

As far as any remadies, i know he has offered in the past a discount for the next order.

Nick Cosper

New elf
Thanks Eddy,
I am using these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400601579185?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just ran out and tested all three of them that I am using and they all started up and immediately went to the voltage that stayed constant. One at 13 the other two at 12.....

I am doubtful that I would order again from Ray unless he really stepped up. All of the t connectors and now all of the strips from my last order are bad. $400+ are all basically going to be trashed. The money isn't even the frustrating part, its all the time I put into putting everything together, troubleshooting and repairing these all due to crap quality... Arghh