Something a Bit Different

Jimbo

Full time elf
Its been a while since I have posted on here, but as many of you know I have run a public light display in Canberra for about 8 years or so.

In 2019, I decided to have a break in 2020 as the display had become quite popular here (averaging over 50,000 visitors in the December month from 2016-19) and I was fortunate enough that ACT Government provided the traffic management etc for the display at no charge (as I was raising funds for Legacy Australia Canberra). A lot of people thought I had a team running the lighting display and coordinating everything, but essentially it was just myself. I calculated that each year by the time I included concept design, creating sound track, programming, building, setting up lights, coordinating with the ACT Government and being out the front every night from start to finish that my total time commitment was nearly 1450 hours a year (on top of working full time). Whilst I love the lighting component, the managing of large crowds (along with keeping residents happy) became quite tiresome and stressful.

Ironically Covid hit only months later in 2020.

I decided to focus on spending more time with my own children and in 2020 built a custom permanent display just for them in our backyard. This included using aluminum profile for the led strip (I found a supplier who had the aluminum profile which the waterproof IP68 strip could fit straight into) on the Costco cubby house (over 150m in total), 2,000 led nodes on the slide, and setting up of a mini mega tree, beat poles, arches, spinners and about 2000 pixels in our trees.

It was great to be able to put something together that can be used whenever we want, without the stress of managing large amount of people and to enjoy with our family and friends. Heres a video of the backyard display.

View: https://youtu.be/ngJlfvfWsV8

I will be expanding on the backyard display again this year.

After having a year off and having a lot more additional time to do some other projects, I decided I won't be doing a public display this year either and I am not sure when/if I will do one again in the future. (Would love to do this for a full time job!). But enjoyment is the most important thing (whether doing a large or small display)!

View: https://youtu.be/3Hd3_Jo6aXY

Junior

Full time elf
Loved your display. Something about a whole house matrix. But totally understand about not having to worry about so much people and coordinating. It's very sad but understandable.

My display ain't quarter of what you're was. But I love to have a beer and sit down and just watch the effects. Haha and sometimes I rather just watch then have to have a chat with spectators.

All these best with your private show for your love ones. Least they still get their fix. And you get to relax.

Have a great festive season.

Mischka

New elf
Hi Jimbo,

Your Display was always awesome, That's what made start my display in OXLEY 2 years ago 🤩

Enjoy your time off and hopefully you'll be back to show the Canberra public another amazing show in the future!🙂

Maybe I might get more viewers over the Southside since yours won't be showing to the Public this year! 😁

Cheers
Geoff
Oxley Canberra

i13

Dedicated elf
Hi Jimbo

I was hoping to come and see your display this year. Now that I know there are currently no definite plans to put it up again, I'm really glad that I visited in 2017. It's certainly a loss to the Canberra community but I understand. I have just moved house and don't have sufficient time to prepare much of a display this year either. I plan to decorate again in 2022 so maybe I'll see you here.

That back yard display is beautiful. Is there the possibility of picking up the cubby house and putting it in the front yard? 😄

Could you please post a link to the aluminium profile that fits the strip? That would be really useful.

sabo

New elf
Wow, shame you wont be doing it this year. Very very nice display and good sequencing too! But can totally understand the fatigue that goes with it.

Jimbo

Full time elf
Mischka - I have seen some video of your show! One of my neighbors told me about it who visited it! I will definitely come down and have a look this year. Great to see another musical display in Canberra as well. I can come and appreciate all your hard work!

Junior - Thanks for your message! Yes just sitting back with a fire going in the fire pit and relaxing last year was a first for our family and very relaxful! Thanks for the well wishes and good luck with your display.

i13 - Unfortunately the cubby house is bolted to the ground! Here's a link to the profile I used:

The supplier is really good. I ordered 200m and it cost in total about $4.50 a metre landed (including shipping, GST etc). Delivery came by UPS in under a week.

It came in 2 metre lengths. The profile is 16mm internally, meaning the IP68 strips fit snuggly in these and are well supported and the cover (I got milky covers but can come in clear also) snaps over the top. I used a little clear silicone on the end caps for the profile to waterproof the ends. I have had these up outside for a year now and they have held up really well (not impacted either by the sunlight). I found them great last year particularly after heavy downpours, as no water got into them.

If I ever did do a public display again, I would use this for the whole house (including the roof) as its easier to manage than conduit and particularly on the roof would give a nice straight line and offer additional protection from the elements.

I am planning on using the left over to install permantly under my eves eventually.