Sorry!! But another arch base question

badger4543

Full time elf
sorry guys its probably been done 100 times over but I'm just trying to source the peices to make my arch bases and being in lock down I can't get to bunnings in person. im trying to find the pieces on the bunnings website and im kinda struggling finding the peices I need to make a base (probably using incorrect words in the search). would this inspection t be correct to make a base out of?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200829-171636_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200829-171636_Samsung Internet.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 36

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
I’m looking to build arches this year as well and I’ll probably use the same inspection tees for the base for mine so they look right to me. There are a number of posts on this site on arches but I found this one particularly useful

badger4543

Full time elf
Thank you.. I did browse though that post but I didn't spot a size or the name of the T in there, I didn't wanna do an online order and have to mess about if they are the wrong ones. Was also thinking about doing some similar to the vertical things with the stars

Puddsa

New elf
I used those for my arches, and got the tubing from Esdan plastics on ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-29-21-01-39-43.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-29-21-01-39-43.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 39

bpratt

Senior elf
I used 40mm SWV fittings (t-piece and 3 x 100mm or so lengths of the pipe), although it didn't have an inspection hole on the side, I just ran the cabling out through the pipe fitting.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Here are some additional ideas, you may want to look at...

I've taken the general build as highlighted on these forums, and kinda incorporated a different look and feel.
I've used the same 32mm electrical Conduit inspection Tee as the base for my arch like most others. (Picture 1)
I've then used a Corrugated conduit gland 20mm as an attachment for the "stabilisation"/ connecting pipe. Drilled holes into the Tee Piece's solid side. (Picture 1 and 2)
Try to get one of those stepper drill-bits, as they make a massive difference in amount of plastic shavings in comparison to normal drill bits . (Picture 3)
I've then attached to the bottom of the Tee some Wire Rope Galvanised U-Bolts in order to attach the strip lights and keep them under "tension". Once I've attached the bolts and nuts, I've hot glued the nuts in place. (Picture 4)
Finally, I've then used the 20mm electrical conduit to attach the Arches and provide "stabilisation" and rigidity. (Picture 5)

I've built 8 of these arches, and have enough seeder pipe left for another 4 if needed.

If I could do it over, I would probably not be using the extra strength electrical conduit. That orange is "LOUD"

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
That's great Domestos, I got some of the 20mm glands last week to also put on the solid side of the tee as well. I hadn't thought about using something to hold tension on the strip though. Will you drill a hole in the inspection tee to run the pigtails out or will you run them out of the legs?

badger4543

Full time elf
Is there a reason people are using conduit across the base?

I was planning on using some 2-3mm stainless wire and crimp it at my desired width for abit more of a hidden look

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Conduit is cheap and fits the air seeder tube snugly.
As for a cross brace, it may not be entirely necessary. I use tent pegs in the feet and mine stay put all season, no need for a cross brace at all.

BBQNinja

New elf
Great ideas Domestos.
I am about to build some arches and think your ideas a great. I will turn my feet 90deg so they attach to each other as mine will run along a fence
Can you share any more on the "tension" part? I think the U-bolts are a great idea. Did you then attach bungee to them?
I see in other forums having too much tension may cause issues mid-long term with the factory solder joints, so was thinking of using something with less spring.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My first post and first year trying a show.
Going for house outline, a mini tree and arches using D1 mini's with x-lights for the first year.