Speaker setup

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Hey Everyone,
I took the advise and got some outdoor rock speakers but they have come with 3 wires (red, black and white). I'm going to connect to my amp so just want to check I get the connections right. Anyone want to take a stab at what the connections should be?

20200729_142108_1.jpg

darylc

404 darylc not found
can you take the photo again with less blur so we can read the label? It has it written on there what colors are for what. I suspect your rock has 2 speakers in it.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
good point Daryl, but looks like common, 70V and 100V
Which would mean you'd need a powered amp - here's one of many guides explaining - but you might be able to bypass that and just use as a normal 4/8/16 Ohm speaker ?

darylc

404 darylc not found
I was thinking maybe it said common, 7W, 10W? but yeah I know stuff all about speakers.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
They are "constant voltage" speakers and would normally be run on a "100V line" (or 70V line in the USA) amplifier.

They will work to a degree with a standard hi-fi amplifier, but the level will be low.

If you open them up you can disconnect the transformer inside and wire directly to the speaker driver.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Cut the red and black wires at the transformer (block thing bolted down) and use them to connect to your amplifier. You could run a new 2-core cable in or use 2 or the 3 cores from the existing grey cable.

Extra points for showing the markings on the transformer terminals where you removed the red and black wires from. That will tell us the impedance, although it's most likely 8 Ohms.

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Cut the red and black wires at the transformer (block thing bolted down) and use them to connect to your amplifier. You could run a new 2-core cable in or use 2 or the 3 cores from the existing grey cable.

Extra points for showing the markings on the transformer terminals where you removed the red and black wires from. That will tell us the impedance, although it's most likely 8 Ohms.

Ok thanks. I'll take a crack at it on the weekend and let you know the results. I'll also check my amp. I'm pretty sure it's 6 Ohmz (it's a Panasonic SC-HT65) that's been sitting in the shed for a few years. Hope it works :(

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Finally got around to connecting the speakers. I just ran speaker cable to the black and red wires and they worked. Didn't use the white wire or disconnect the transformer block thingy so happy it's working ok.

Picked up one of these to receive the FM signal:

Using this transmitter hooked up to the PC:

480hsv

New elf
Finally got around to connecting the speakers. I just ran speaker cable to the black and red wires and they worked. Didn't use the white wire or disconnect the transformer block thingy so happy it's working ok.

Picked up one of these to receive the FM signal:

Using this transmitter hooked up to the PC:

Sorry to dig up an old post, but where did you purchase your speaker from? Was it loud enough for walking traffic?

spazmanaught

Apprentice elf
Sorry to dig up an old post, but where did you purchase your speaker from? Was it loud enough for walking traffic?
Sorry for the delay responding!!!

I got the speakers of Ebay. From memory for the two it was about $90. I'll have

Easily loud enough. I have the amp at about 45% volume and that's spot on. Over about 60% and they go crackly. Not too loud to annoy the neighbours but enough for the kids to enjoy.