Speeding up rendering

Novalak

New elf
How does one speed up rendering on my PC? My laptop takes between 5-10min to render a complete song

Is the timing normal?
How does one speed it up
What does rendering use? CPU? RAM? GPU?

Novalak

New elf
Its a complecated sequence i guess and CPU is where its maxing, but its an i7 so i would have thought it could handle it - the graphocs card is low which i thought might offload to CPU maybe, thus the question

A 32GB, i7 Macbook Pro is replacing this old laptop in the coming weeks so hopefully its better

i13

Dedicated elf
I haven't looked into this myself but have you tried render caching? https://manual.xlights.org/xlights/chapters/chapter-five-menus/file/settings#render-cache

Another thing that can help with render times is to reduce the frame rate of the sequences. My sequences are at 40 frames per second so I just tried rendering one. These are my render times:
  • 40 frames per second: 54.500 seconds
  • 20 frames per second: 27.517 seconds
If you decide to lower the frame rate, make a separate copy of your sequences first because you might not like the result. xLights saves the sequence when you change this setting.

tooms

12v4life
Sometimes from the check sequence tool within xlights theirs hints in the log file on what can be causing excessive long render times, suggest also maybe grab one of the 'xlights around the world' sequences' and render it as is and see if it's acceptable and on par with what everyone else is getting.

Edit: Just rendered the vanilla XATW Greatest Showman sequence on my desktop, 35.447 seconds, I'm using a Ryzen 3700X with 32gb of DRAM, SSD storage. Xlights version 2020.57

Last edited: