Spoiled Christmas

diyer

Full time elf
We have been doing quite a bit of home renovation over the past couple of months and this has impacted on my Christmas light show immensely. I had planned to do a scaled back version, but this was completely scuttled when a drunk out of control driver hit the front of our house last Friday afternoon demolishing a brick pillar holding up our verandah and hitting the corner of our house!
There is substantial damage to the corner of the house, the garage wall and to the veranda roof, our insurance company (AAMI) is getting an engineer to come out to assess the structural damage but being at this time of year, it's hard to get anything happening quickly.
We usually have a large display on our front lawn, but due to our renovations this wasn't done, luckily I guess because the car would have destroyed quite a bit of of our stuff which might have been difficult to claim on insurance?

So no Christmas light display

Habbosrus

Back again
I'm glad no one was hurt. I'll dedicate my little show to you tonight. I know it's not the same but I've enjoyed a great year with my visitors and I'd like to share it.

diyer

Full time elf
Thanks for your thought and kind words, yes it was a miracle that no one (except the driver who suffered a broken nose) go injured.
The police advised us that he is being charged with multiple offences including theft of the vehicle.

drlucas

Apprentice elf
Very glad no one got hurt because if there were any kiddies outside watching the show we would all be heartbroken.

Let's hope that Santa brings coal to the driver for Christmas this year and that the engineer says you can stay in the house for Christmas

Habbosrus

Back again
This may not be PC, but I'm positive he would have had a broken nose one way or another if it had have been my place. I don't think we should continually accept bad behaviour from these dropkicks.
Again, I know it's no consolation but, I had my biggest turnout tonight by a long shot and I told people about your situation and I was dedicating the night in your name. It was a great night and there were so many kids dancing on the lawn. It was great night, so many people, old and young, enjoyed themselves.

gerry

Senior elf
Sorry to hear about the incident diyer.

In addition to the worry about the house, I can understand the angst of not being able to do a show.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Having a year off sometimes can be a blessing in disguise as it reminds you how much you love doing it and gives you time to come back harder than ever.

I have missed the last 2 years in my street due to varying reasons and now im coming under increased pressure from the neighbours who all seem to be missing it greatly after being a bit unsure in the first couple of years.