Standard Operating Procedure - Universe numbering

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Is there any Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for numbering universes of controllers in xLights?

For instance if I have two 4 Ch controllers that can do 4 Universes on each output like so

O/PUUUU

If I'm only ever going to use 1 Universe on each of the 4 outputs on the first controller do I, in xLights Setup:
a) number them 1, 5, 9, 13; or
b) number them 1, 2, 3, 4

Do I on the second controller start the universe numbering at 17, or if I use b) from 5?

I understand it probably doesn't matter either way, just wondering what others normally do?
Is it best to start each new controller after the maximum number of universe of the previous one; on the off chance you'll want to add more (lights) to the first one?

damona

Full time elf
If you use Multi-casting. Then a packet for a Universe and the channel data can go to multiple devices.

So you could have a Universe for small items/devices/controllers with few channels each. e.g. RGB Floods

A control/device might not support more than one Universe across a single output.

Don't wast Universes but don't make it to complicated as well.

xlights allows you to set the start Universe and Channel for an item, and it can be changed without impact to the show you programmed, if you change the start Universe/Channel of an item.