Start Address Program with basic patterns for testing/setup

rrowan

New elf
Hi Folks,

A few months ago I wrote a program for myself to better understand how the dmx string works and to try out visual basic 2008 express. With the help of Keith Tarpley with some beta testing and features were added to the program. Recently Phil asked for a tiger mode to correctly set the start address.

I called it StartPattern, It will send the start address to Lynx/Tiger DMX controllers (not the LE) and it has some light patterns to test you lights and setup so you don't have to run Vixen or LSP while setting up your show. For Tiger mode just uncheck the Lynx mode checkbox. LOL I already see a change needed. To have the program "remember" which mode.

It detects the dongle and shows the com port. At the moment if you have multi dongles or other boards using the FTDI drivers it only grabs the first one it finds which may or may not be the correct dongle port. This is good and possibility bad that future versions will have to fix. Like it will only "see" the first dongle and is limited to 512 channels

Requires: .net framework 3.5, Microsoft PowerPack (I use that to create "lights" in the pattern mode to show the brightness level) along with FTDI drivers installed. If you don't have .net 3.5 or PowerPack it will grab them from Microsoft's website and install.

Note: Powerpack is used in the pattern mode to show what condition the lights should be (off/on/dimming)

I have a url link which the program will check for any updates and a zip file which will not check for updates

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepy09v/Start2/publish.htm

Hope that makes sense and the program is useful

Cheers

Rick R.

P.S. Just to let everyone know. I am not a professional programmer, I just enjoy writing small programs as a hobby. Most of my other programs were for the locksmith shop (former job) using Best IC cores pining.

Attachments

• StartPattern.zip
    337.9 KB · Views: 16

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Rick

I will say it again, a very special thank you for doing this.

I tested this and it works perfectly to set the start address.

No harm will occur to the TigerDMX boards if you forget and leave the LYNX box check BUT your start channel will be one higher than expected.
I use a zero based address in the eeprom and this is different to the LYNX even though the method is the same.

Again
Thanks to Rick

Cheers
Phil

rrowan

New elf
KeithTarpley said:
Greetings,,,

New and improved, Rick. Still waiting for the music sequencing.... :D

Keith

Yeah me to Master Keith

So when are you writing it?

:D

Cheers

Rick R.

p.s. To be honest (against by better judgment) I don't remember the music seq??

dmoore

Senior elf
Thanks for writing this. I like the way it does see to find the proper port. Oe suggestion - change the lynx/tiger check box to a drop down. It's not completely clear which mode you are in.

Thanks!
david

KeithTarpley

New elf
Greetings,,,

Drop downs are good for lots of choices, but hate to have to check what's hidden behind drop down number 1 for just two items. He's right that it might be a little easier to tell with both as separate choices.

Just set up a dongle on a new computer today. First thing I did was throw your program on it to test that I had the drivers set up properly. Your program and a few leds on a controller let me know quickly to move on to the next issue on the pc. Thanks for a simple tester.

Keith

rrowan

New elf
I updated the program.

It now has two programming selections (Lynx or Tiger Mode)
It also remembers your setting the next time you run the program.

This is for the network version of the program. I need to change some settings before I can update the zip version.

Cheers

Rick R.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Rick

I was going to issue a challenge, if a logo image was supplied could you set the window background to be the image based on the selected mode.
This would be a great visual reminder of which mode you where in.

Cheers
Phil

rrowan

New elf
AussiePhil said:
Rick

I was going to issue a challenge, if a logo image was supplied could you set the window background to be the image based on the selected mode.
This would be a great visual reminder of which mode you where in.

Cheers
Phil

Ok

I uploaded the files to my server. So if you are using the version that updates (installed from website and not from the zip file) Just run the program. It now has picture backgrounds for Tiger, Lynx or a checkbox to turn them off

I'll work on updating the zip file asap

Rick R.

rrowan

New elf