Starter kits?

whitey

New elf
I'm keen to get into this hobby over the next few years. I've done a fair amount of research and reading (the forum guide is excellent, albeit intimidating), but I'm hoping there might be some local sellers that might have a 'starter kit' or if anyone can suggest a bill of goods that I can buy?

I'm keen on 12V WS2811 and from my reading a F16V4. I have a Raspberry Pi or a laptop if needed. I guess I'm just hoping to 'buy everything at once' - connect it up and get my head around it from there.

Here's the house. It's a fully fenced block so there's not much visible (this is from Google Maps so it's on an extended pole above a car - from eye height you get the fence and most of the roof). I was thinking some vertical & horizontal lights on the fence, maybe a prop or two on the fence, some arches and then some lights on the roof - although that's over a longer period of time. Maybe just lighting the top of the fence this year.
house.PNG

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Welcome to this hobby

There is not a starter kit as such as everyone has different setups, requirements, varying DIY / IT skills and budgets.

You can start with downloading xlights (www.xlights.org) and install on your computer
Import a pic of your house from a viewers stand point

Then add some props in your layout, ie arches across your fence, outline etc

Once you have done this, you could play around with some sequences to see how it all looks (a simple animation sequence with no audio can still look good)

You can also assign your pixel controller in your xlights layout etc which can help with your layout design.

Then you have to commit with some budget and purchase some components

I would start with the following
A Pixel Controller (you mentioned a Falcon Controller)
Some pixels (maybe just a couple hundred to just get started) most common are WS2811 bullet pixels (100 count string , 12v or 5v depending on your preferred voltage to use)
Power supply to suit your pixels
Pigtails to suit your pixels
Maybe some pre-made connections (you can make these yourself with the appropriate pigtails).

Then connect some pixels and PSU's to your controller and configure your few strings on pixels and assign your settings for the strings from your props via xlights and see how you go (note lots of knowledgeable people in ACL or zoom always will to help).

Your biggest hurdle for this year will be getting actual components due to current shipping delays and the some shortages of products

I would look to see if there is anybody local in your area in this hobby for this season and ask if you can have a little look at their display, and keep an eye out for any local mini gatherings coming up in your area next year for additional info

Also there is heaps of great ACL how to videos and more recently videos from the recent Virtual Christmas Summit with most videos uploaded and on the xlights.org webpage

There is a list of vendors in the ACL wiki

Some actual website suggestions

as you mentioned a Falcon pixel controller

For pixels, maybe try some AU based re-sellers

Or hanson electronics

Or the usual Chinese vendors
Etop

Ray Wu

Scott Led
http://www.scottled.com/ (official website)
https://scottled.en.alibaba.com/ (

Also Troy @ extremelightingdisplays has a enclosure built to suit Falcon coontrollers (you still need to supply your own pixel controller, PSU etc it is a kit consisting of a enclosure, mounting plate, pigtails only).

This all can be all a little confusing, but hopefully points you in the right direction for a start

As always also check out the ACL 101 manual etc

Also you can post some product links you are looking to purchase in this forum thread and others can provide some advise

Last edited:

whitey

New elf
Thanks for the links!

Apart from the lights themselves, a prp3, the falcon controller, and power supply, what else do I need?

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Cable ties, lots of cable ties.....

You will need the following (or alternatives you prefer to use - it's all DIY so improvise with that you have or can access)
  • Cable (various stuff, higher gauge for power supplies (240v) and appropriate gauge for voltage loss to your lights (subject to voltage and length)
  • Skills to solder (or solder sleeves)
  • Heatshrink
  • a few tools like a soldering iron, drill, hand saw, screw drivers (a pedestal drill also comes in handy if you can get one or have access to use one)
  • You will need a lot of trinkets, screws, bolts, washers. lots of different sizes and you will never have the size you need when you need it
  • time, lots and lots of time
  • dedication
I think that covers most things, but no doubt I have left a some stuff out.

Depending on how big you dive in, you will at times get overwhelmed with the challenge and it can be frustrating, but just remember why you started. It's only a hobby and you should be getting satisfaction out of it otherwise you will lose interest real quick.

Enjoy!!

whitey

New elf
Slowly getting my head around it all.

So, the Falcon controller is >$300. That might be a bit much for my first year. Are there any cheaper alternatives I can get from Aus?

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Regarding the cost of the controller
Yes there is some cheaper option s like a rasp Pi and a Pi hat
Or a Beagle Bone Black and a cape ie Kulp controller

Another option (similar price to a Falcon controller is a Advatek pixel controller).

Yes the $300 is a large outlay for a pixel controller but they can control a lot of pixels and you can also purchase additional expansion boards or remote receiver boards as your display expands

RolyT

New elf

So, the Falcon controller is >$300. That might be a bit much for my first year. Are there any cheaper alternatives I can get from Aus?
I am just trying to get myhead around all this too and have seen a few videos on youtube ( Dr ZZss, the Hook Up) that appear to use a cheap nodemcu computer and phone app to do all the controlling.. not as extreme/sophistictaed as falcon/X lights but might be a way to test the water?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Raspberry Pi with a Pi hat would be the best all-round option. The Pi can simultaneously output to pixels and run the show (saves needing a separate computer on).

ESP32/ ESP8266 with W-LED is another option. They are cheaper than a Pi but they require a computer to be running and sending data to them.
If your WiFi is not strong then the lights will flicker (assuming this is a syntonised display to music with xLights).

The Kulp boards with a BBB are not much cheaper than a Falcon once the cost is added up.

Merlin

New elf

Consider the HE-123 Mk2 from Hanson Electronics. It’s a very capable option - it has 16 outputs onboard (expandable to 48 like the Falcon) and each can support 800px @40fps or 1600px @20fps, which is very similar to F16V. It needs a Beaglebone Black (or Green as a slightly cheaper alternative) single board computer, but both HE-123 and BBB will total about $200 AUD together. Best part is that HE-123 is Australian designed, can be bought locally and shipped cheaply to you at $21 express post! @AAH operates Hanson Electronics and is on this forum.

I’ve just started on this hobby myself a few weeks ago, and have gone through the same thought process as you. I started out convinced that I wanted an F16V4 with 12V WS2811 Ray Wu pixels and Meanwell power supply(s) - admittingly influenced by the many American YouTube vids that we all watch.

I’ve landed on a HE-123 Mk2 and locally sourced 5V SCOTT LED pixels. This is due to a few reasons:
  • Learnt that F16V4s are near impossible to find in Australian in 2021 (and much too expensive to ship in from the States)
  • 12V WS2811s require less wiring effort, but require more than TWICE the number of power supply units (PSU) for the same number of pixels (for e.g. a 350W PSU will support up to 1,240 12v pixels, or 2,975 5v pixels, both at 30% intensity). There is no colour/brightness difference if you do power injection correctly;
  • Being in oz, there are no locally available off-the-shelf kits with everything you need… the ones in the US are expensive and pretty limited anyway (you may not want them in the longer term) - it works out much cheaper and effective to build your own setup;
  • I’d like something to show for Xmas 2021. If you’re not targeting an xmas 2021 show and are happy to wait, then it’ll be cheaper to import your components from China, otherwise you’ve got little time left and your best bet is to source locally (be warned though - local suppliers are short on inventory too, as many are waiting on China stock procured WEEKS ago). Here are suppliers that I’ve been buying from: http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/ https://www.extremelightingdisplays.com.au/ https://www.lightitupleds-xmas.com.au/ https://piptree-designs-108285.square.site/product/Mega-Tree/57
  • I’ve been able to source the following locally, to get me started… I’m certain that you still can too:
    • HE-123 Mk2 controller, Beaglebone Black;
    • 1,200 5v WS811 pixels (so far);
    • 1x 350W 5V SCOTT LED power supply unit;
    • Hexfuse (to distribute and fuse the PSU power for power injection);
    • Pixel pliers;
    • 3pin pigtails for pixel controller outputs;
    • 2pin pigtails for power injection;
    • A couple of null pixel buffers; (just in case I need to extend strings over longer distance)
    • Weatherproof box and glands to store and protect the controller and PSU;
    • 1,000 small cable ties;
    • cable tie gun.
  • FWIW, my first goal is a mega tree so additionally, I’ve bought a star, tree topper, node strips, pole, hook bolts, base etc. I’ve also bought a few boscoyo coro decorations as a plan B, in case I can’t get my tree up in time!

whitey

New elf
I'm going to dip my toes into:

• ESP8266 (have access to a few at work)
  • NeoPixels WS8218b (again, I have a strip at work that I can borrow)
If that works okay then happy days and I can get a few more pixels, if not, I know I'll need to splash out on a dedicated controller next year!

OldMarty

New elf
I'm keen to get into this hobby over the next few years. I've done a fair amount of research and reading (the forum guide is excellent, albeit intimidating), but I'm hoping there might be some local sellers that might have a 'starter kit' or if anyone can suggest a bill of goods that I can buy?

I'm keen on 12V WS2811 and from my reading a F16V4. I have a Raspberry Pi or a laptop if needed. I guess I'm just hoping to 'buy everything at once' - connect it up and get my head around it from there.

Here's the house. It's a fully fenced block so there's not much visible (this is from Google Maps so it's on an extended pole above a car - from eye height you get the fence and most of the roof). I was thinking some vertical & horizontal lights on the fence, maybe a prop or two on the fence, some arches and then some lights on the roof - although that's over a longer period of time. Maybe just lighting the top of the fence this year.

Hi Whitey,

You might be tempted to cover your fence-fronts with strings of lights & props, but what is your area like for vandelism or theft?
(thieves & vandals love fences, because it shields them from being seen from the home owners, so they won't get caught).

If i lived in a fenced block like yours, i'd be building up tall frames for my props that sit maybe 1 metre behind your fenceline, but tall enough for the actual prop to be seen above the top of the fence, from the street.

For example i would first build some tall 'teepee' frames for mega-trees, maybe 3-4 metres tall, but only place the lights on the framework starting at about the 2 metre point and upwards to the top of the framework.

I would then install some horizontal beams between my teepee towers to allow the mounting of hoops, stars and any other decorations or light matrixes etc.

You could brace all kinds of tall framework to the rails on your fence as well as support braces staked into the surrounding ground.

SheridanM

New elf
Hi there, did you end up getting a kit sorted (I know no kits exist just the make up of parts you landed on) out of curiosity?

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.