starting out for 2014 lights starting out with everything

prontoheal

New elf
Hi everyone,

For the past 6 years I have been messing around with the idea if starting to computers my Christmas lights. Every year I leave it to later and I end up placing my store bought lights up (which do look good for a basic setup), as I packed away my lights this year I counted about 5000 to 7000 LED's and I thought I could incorporate these with some that I could sync and dance.

I have been reading the forums everyday coming up with a couple of additions to my display to aid in it popping or just looking different.

So with all of this in mind I am thinking of doing the following:
- I am thinking about replacing a 60 meter run of blue BigW LED which I place within my white rocks near my front door and front deck the white rocks is about which you can see about 50 cm of rocks either side of my walkway deck ( this makes a little river effect) - I am thinking with these going with LED strip Blue lights for this

- I am also thinking about making a couple of mini trees I have started thinking about 5 to start with and I am thinking about wrapping the the mini trees with WS2811 DC12V 100 node RGB pixel nodes.

- and finally building 3 or 4 arches using a heap of BIG W LED lights which I have so much in boxes since I have white, blue, multi colours.

So I am thinking about getting approx (only ideas right now
- 10 x DC12v-5m-one-roll-5050-SMD - 30LED/m LED strip (this is for my river)
- 5 x 100 node -DC12V-input ws2811 pixel node RGB

For the controllers I was tempted to go down the E1.31 line (as I like my computer networks since this is my job in real life) and I was thinking about the J1SYS or the Sandevice E681 ( but open for advice on these or others)

For the Software I have been playing around with Vixen3 over the past couple of weeks since I started to come up this plan and I kinda like it very easy to use as well as easy to get lost for hours in.

I know I need transformers and such but I haven't looked at this as yet as I wanted to see if I have bitten to much.

I want to make my display grow every year and also something I want my now 4 year old son to go WOW. and also something that looks tasteful.

Thanks and in advance thanks for the advice

Adam

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Adam.
You''l need a DC controller or 2 to control your existing LED lights as controlling them via an AC and transformers isn't successful. A number of DC controllers are listed on http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controllers and some of the available pixel controllers are on http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Interfaces#Ethernet_.28E1.31.29_to_SPI . If you are new to computer control I'd look at using 1 of the pixel controllers that also has a dmx output on it as it saves having to have a separate usb dongle or an E1.31 to dmx bridge.
The Advatek pixel controller and at least 1 of the J1-Sys boards has dmx out. I am not sure about any of the Sandevices boards.

Habbosrus

Back again
The Sandevices E6804 can run dmx. I'm not sure about the others. If you're thinking ws2811 pixels, you can incorporate Alan's (AAH) 2811DC15 or 30 to run the BigW lights too. I used one this year and plan on purchasing a bunch more this year. They worked flawlessly.

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL Adam, just one question have you thought about RGB strip light instead of just blue as this will be able to integrate further into your display and you could create nice flowing effects with RGB strip. It's just a thought

prontoheal

New elf
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Yeah Dale I was thinking about RGB Strip light and just go full on RGB for all.

I am still at the planning stages I want to make sure everything ties in together before I go crazy with my credit card.

Adam

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL

Looks like you may have finally caught the CLAP (Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem) will it last through the whole year this time.

Take your time in learning and deciding what you need, you have plenty of time, but don't take too long or you will miss Christmas again

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Adam
As you are already finding out, lots of very friendly folks here willing to assist on your lighting adventures.