Strike says Hello

Strike

New elf
Well... I should start here and give myself a short introduction...

I'm Strike and have been looking at doing computer controlled lights for around the 10 year mark now.I have been a long time reading of these (and other) forums. I signed up here almost 2 years ago. I have been looking at all of the different technologies and how they have evolved over the past few years I was originally looking into things that go blinky on and off... Like the Olsen 595 series of control cards... So in the last 12 months I've been doing a fair bit more reading and playing and have come up with a plan that suits my budget, my knowledge and (hopefully) the layout of my house.

I have worked for a major commercial television station in their lighting department as well as touring with some high end companies. After I left my job there in around the 2009 era I then went and followed my dream of working for a WISP closer to home, starting in the helpdesk and moving up the ranks I ended up working within the NOC or the Network Operations Center, and responsible for a large area of fixed point wireless network islands as well as a lot of *nix based servers, this is my formal training as a Sysadmin.

Fast forward a few years and that brings us to now. I had a falling out with my wife and decided that this year I would follow my dream of actually getting into the Christmas Lights. So with a bit of study this is the plan I have decided to follow:

I have a PC running Vixen 3 to do my sequences to which I export to my FPP, and via a 24 Port switch I run E1.31 to control 6 SanDevices E682 to run my strings of Ray Wu RGB 2811 strip lights. I also am using 4 SanDevices E6804 to control my RGB Pixels also from Ray Wu.

I am in the process of finding a E1.31 Bridge to DMX to control my dumb RGB Led Strips that have found their way into my workshop (I think that they came from family.)

So I think I have got most things sorted... With any luck my 2016 will be the 1st display of many more to follow.

And to answer the questions that always seem to follow yes I have read the 101 manual :) Cover to Cover at least 5 times this year alone!

Thank you for your patience. Hopefully will get to chat to you all soon. (Yes I have been hanging out in the Chat Room :) )

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Strike,
Welcome to ACL

Good plan so far, with regard to the DMX bridge, have a look at the j1sys and pixlite pixel boards as they have DMX outputs built onto them as well as Pixels.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you sound like you have all the skills needed to get right into this hobby and have a great show for 2016

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hey strike hello and welcome it seems with your career path has lead you here perfect man for the job I believe. unlike myself panel beater spray painter and now mechanic can straighten make things look pretty and make things run work drive etc .have a little experience with electronics but have struggled for a little while but am getting it .I think with your experience you will strive for sure . Once again welcome and goodluck mate

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome48.gif

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day Strike, welcome to ACL. Have you looked at AAH's boards (2811DC15/30 or 2801DC15/30)? I use them for dumb RGB and BigW lights and they work flawlessly.

i13

Dedicated elf
Seriously consider the F16v2 if you haven't ordered controllers yet. The value for money is the best you can get without a more difficult setup plus it can convert E1.31 to DMX. There is currently an interest post for a group buy as this isn't always available.

I don't know as much about Sandevices controllers but there doesn't seem to be an Australian supplier of them unlike the PixLite and J1sys controllers.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Strike. Sounds like you're already well on the way to getting CLAP (Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem) :)
Ask as many questions as you need, we're all here to help and learn together

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL, lets hope 2016 brings you the C.L.A.P.

Christmas
Lighting
Addiction
Problem