Strip Light Storage

AussieDoug

Full time elf
So after trying to figure out what I was going to throw out of my shed so fit all my strip lights in there once mounted onto conduit, I came up with this idea. I still need to put a bit of shade cloth over the top between the shed & retaining wall so they're not in direct sunlight.
They are 150mm stormwater pipe cut @ 1 x 7.5m, 6m, 4.5m, 3.5m & 2.5m
This was not a cheap option for those on a budget.

Pipe $75 per 6m length
End caps $15 ea
Threaded ends $15 ea
Threaded caps $15 ea
Mounting brakets $12 ea
Total $610

Not having it in my shed.........Priceless

Attachments

• Storage rack.jpg
    Storage rack.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 91

firebug

Senior elf
Great job Doug. I was thinking of doing something similar with 100mm sewer pipe and storing it under the house. Also I will be writing an inventory on the cap of what's inside... :)

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Doug,

Great idea. When I first looked at it I was wondering why it had to be such big diameter and how you would pull the strips through a 6m length. Then I realised that you would be storing then whilst still attached to the conduit. Do you have any trouble with the zippy ties catching on each other as you put them in.

How do other people store their conduit strips? Obviously you can lay them on the ground or a shelf but do people have trouble with rodents chewing them. Or do people take them off the conduit and roll them up each year.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Tis a really awesome idea :)

I have just put brackets up in our garage on the wall and stacked them all on there. Literally threw them up there at the end of the season. I just had to get them all down as I re-designed my layout so had to change all the wiring on them. I was dreading finding out whether they went or not but hey presto, they all went :)

I would rather do what Doug has done though, except maybe 2 x huge diameter tubes, that way can store them outside like Doug :)

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
good thinking Firebug. Yet again I am (at least) one step behind. :)

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Yeah I will just split them up into the lengths of the storage pipes then either tape or zip tie them together & try put them all in there in one go. Hopefully that way I can't loose any down the other end then...

arw01

Full time elf
Maybe I got caught in the same time warp eddy did where new posts had not all shown.

This is a great idea. I've got a pole building with 5' of space between it and the neighbors. The skin is screwed on so I can remove a screw and put a removable style zip tie with a screw eye and zip up the tubes.

We have a S&D type white pipe that is less expensive here in the States.

Alan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Your a bit more organised than me. I just have mine piled up along the side of the garage behind my other elements which are leaning against the garage wall. The great thing about using strip and conduit is that its easy to store and doesnt take a large footprint to store.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Ended up going with Dougs way :)

Got this from a friend $150 cash. Have stored all my house outline (strip attached to conduit). He welded a cap on one end and the other end also has a removable cap. Its 6m long and 40cm diameter. Have since moved it from this place to down the side fence, much nicer.

IMG_23911_zpsa2625e8d.jpg

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
After seeing your display Shell, I still can't believe you fit all your strip in that pipe, even though it is a big pipe!!

JPB

Full time elf
I have all my conduit mounted lights hanging in the roof of the garage. I can still power them up and play with effects if I want. I have strips of velcro cable tie screwed into the joists so that the strips are easy to put up and take down.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I would have liked to have done that JPB but our garage is a "working garage" in that hubby has all his lawnmowing business equipment in there. I did have it on the side wall but it was a lot of clutter and there was some bowing when hanging up like that. Also a lot of dust/grass in the garage as well, not so good for lights.

The only conduit I dont have in the pipe is the megatree stuff Bundy, it would fit but it weighs quite a bit so didnt want to put it on top of the others. That still sits nice and tidily on the garage wall in a big material sleeve (24 lengths of 2.5m).