Strip lights indoor install

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Since I've removed almost all strip from my display (only arches and spinners remain) I decided over our recent long weekend to install some in the mancave, something I've wanted to do for years but just shuddered at the thought of having to solder strip!
As they say, practice makes perfect and sure enough after a few failed attempts (and with plenty of strip to play with) I was able to whip up a length of just under 18 meters of continual, WORKING (meaning my soldering actual worked!) strip.

After hearing it mentioned numerous times here on the forums, I decided to use the 8mm end cap that is meant to be used for roof edgings. https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-3-0m-x-8mm-clear-sunlite-polycarbonate-end-cap_p1010480
This stuff is perfectly suited for strip and leaves enough room to use screws above to hold in place. My install was quick & dirty, literally just using wood screws into plaster, not even on the studs or using correct plaster plugs! I figure the weight is not much, will let you know if/when it falls :)

You can see below that both the strip with it's silicone sleeve as well as cable connections still fit within the end cap fine.

View media item 1349
View media item 1348
View media item 1347
After being inspired by the Syd Mini presentations from @darylc & @TRAVISTY regarding Big Buttons and other control systems, I was quick to get this setup as per below video:

View: https://youtu.be/IH5gBOJFrQk

Whilst this is great for on the fly manual control, I have since worked out how to incorporate the lights with my Twitch DJ streams, so that viewers can redeem channel points and control the lights themselves remotely. This process is a little more complex that the big buttons, but if it's something you are interested let me know below and I can put together the steps I went through. TLDR - I used a program called Lioranboard which is a free an alternative to Touch Portal.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
Thanks for sharing @djgra79 . I love the snowball effect when people share their projects. You've inspired me to replace my lighting under our bar with strip now. I've been out this morning and bought some end cap. What's best about my little project is that the measurement of our bar is exactly 5m, so no soldering for me! ( Strip bends around corners, right??)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
sorry mate, but it looks like you need to continue practicing the soldering on the strip.. i see excess soldered wiring past the pcd part of the strip, allows for it to short out down the track.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
sorry mate, but it looks like you need to continue practicing the soldering on the strip.. i see excess soldered wiring past the pcd part of the strip, allows for it to short out down the track.
If you're referring to the 2nd close up photo, that is untouched by me and how it was from the factory! Don't ask me who, but it was either Ray or Felix as I've bought strip from both over the years.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I put up some from Bunnings and the glue failed after a few days, so did the same and use the same channel you used @djgra79 . Worked a treat and it's can't be seen when it's on. Kids are happy with the remotes too.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
What controller are you using?
I'm running one of Alan's rPi-28D: http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28d/
attached to a Raspberry Pi and running latest version of FPP.
I run it in Bridge mode when I am sequencing via xLights so I can see in real time what the effects are. Then when I save and upload the sequences I move to Standalone mode for it to work with the external triggers.

james_o100

New elf
God damn it, Graham (@djgra79 ) - the list of jobs for my shed build just had an addition...

I didn't know I needed blinky lights in them, until now... :p