Juddge

Apprentice elf
Ok so i finally got the usb dmx talking to the dmx2-24 controller
its tests inside X-lights
i have Dumb lights attached to the controller
pins 1-2 ( String light)
pin 3-4 ( Curtain)

how do i add these to x-lights layout ? as theya re not true pixel style lights

i need to run them as one of the test 8 sequences, to simulate to old powerpack controllers

can someone guide me with this please

i do have a few new lights that have wireless remove controlls that i can change the colours to certain colours and turn on seperate LED only
but for now i want to learn how to just get my dumb lights working as i have alot of them to put up and i want them to all be in Time and same operations

then i can get them to move to music later

Juddge

Apprentice elf
when testing, via Da-tester , i can pick channels 1-2 and it turns on the string only and
when i pick channels 3-4 it turns on the curtain and works

how do i set this in x-lights if its not pixels with multiple nodes ?
i just want channels 1-2 and 3-4 as 2 seperate lights sets

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you don't want to control the 2 halves of the strings separately then there is a switch on the board labelled 12ch which turns it into a 12 channel dimmer. Each channel controls the whole string.

Juddge

Apprentice elf
i cant even control 1 side of the lights in x-lights
If in da tester - set to channel 1 and 2 only I can turn on red - and get half the lights working
Then if I turn on green I get the other half working
Or set both red and green on and all lights work

I just can’t seem to get this to happen inside x-lights

They are just dumb lights , but it should work if it works in the tester - I chocks be able to add them and turn when on and off and simulate the old 8 functions the old power pack controller did from these new controllers

Attachments

• IMG_9978.jpeg
    IMG_9978.jpeg
    764.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9977.jpeg
    IMG_9977.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9976.jpeg
    IMG_9976.jpeg
    834.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9975.jpeg
    IMG_9975.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9974.jpeg
    IMG_9974.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9973.jpeg
    IMG_9973.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Juddge

Apprentice elf
Note - I have 2 sets of lights wired to the controller -
Only trying to get at Least 1 working for now

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ok so the issue is just an xLights one then. If da_tester is working, the DMX side is all good.

Can you post a screenshot of the controller section in xLights with the DMX shown, as well as your model definition from the layout tab?

Juddge

Apprentice elf
I have been able to get 1 channel set to work but it seems like have gone completely the long way around just to get 1 old dumb - light string to work

I have had to setup weird layout then in sequencer - manually DMX on and off each channel ? I though xlights would have had presets for these old style lights ?
but I finally got something to work in xlights /
I may have made progress
But it seems the wrong -/ long way of doing the works

Attachments

• IMG_9990.jpeg
    IMG_9990.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    967.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9987.jpeg
    IMG_9987.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9986.jpeg
    IMG_9986.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9985.jpeg
    IMG_9985.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I can see a bunch of issues with the configuration that will need to go through.
I can go through it with you on Zoom this evening at about 9pm AEDT if you're free?

Juddge

Apprentice elf
So after getting channel 1 and 2 alternating , and working I tried adding sting 2 from layout as channel 3-4
Now the first DMZ of each channel works then only the channel 1 after the first 2 on / off

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I wouldn't just the DMX effect here, it's not intended for driving lights, more so for non-light fixtures.
There are much better ways to set it up, which is all dependent on how you have them physically laid out on your house, and the types of effects you're trying to achieve.

Juddge

Apprentice elf
I can see a bunch of issues with the configuration that will need to go through.
I can go through it with you on Zoom this evening at about 9pm AEDT if you're free?
I would love to but this weekend is my birthday weekend so dinner with kids and siblings tonight , maybe tomorrow afternoon.?

Juddge

Apprentice elf
I wouldn't just the DMX effect here, it's not intended for driving lights, more so for non-light fixtures.
There are much better ways to set it up, which is all dependent on how you have them physically laid out on your house, and the types of effects you're trying to achieve.
I basically to run on of the original 8 settings the original controller(power supply ) ran , but I want them all in time , and latter I would like them to be turn on and off with music
I know becaue they are dumb lights in won’t be able to make speaking lights etc - but i want to turn the from the controller , so all my strings , curtains , etc are all
In time
Then later maybe get them to pulse off and onn to the sound of the music

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I would love to but this weekend is my birthday weekend so dinner with kids and siblings tonight , maybe tomorrow afternoon.?
I'll find out when the wife and kids are out but it shouldn't be an issue. Will drop you a note.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
If all you're wanting to do is replicate the existing multifunction controllers, then trying with xLights etc will be quite difficult. Emulating the MFC is not straightforward and you'd have to program all the different configurations of blinky patterns.
You do, however have loads more flexibility with making more interesting patterns.

Now, the cool thing is that the DMX2-24 can do all that itself without programming, it has a classic mode which emulates the MFC across all it's outputs. Detailed in the manual

But, that's local to the one controller board so if you've got more than one then it won't sync across all of them.

Juddge

Apprentice elf
issue with Xlights -
When i make a string - set it as a super string - 2 colour
manually set it to 1 string 1 node 1 lights
so it uses only channel 1 and 2
it operates all the channels on the DMX2-24

Tested to ensure uts working as designed
DA-tester - manually set channels 1-2 - lights 1 works only
set channels 3-4 - light 2 works only
set channels 1-24 - all lights work

inside xlights - no matter how i setup my strings - it always operates multiple channels

im sure its just me not knowing how to set these up

i have got the hang of the DMX36mk2 - i have my RBG Strips 3 channel working perfectly, RBG cycling, colour washes in xlights

i only seem to have a problem with 2 wire fairy lights - getting them to work inside xlights

no matter what i do all the fairy lights do what ever i tell xlights to do for only the 1 string

its confusing me , and frustrating