Super Standard Strobe String. (SSSS)

mrpackethead

Full time elf
ryanschristmaslights said:
This sounds great - a completed strobe string is just what we need.

So from somebody who has no DMX gear other than a single USB dongle and an XLR to RJ45 adapter, what other elements do I need to get these up and running?

It will need some kind of DMX --> SPI adaptor. Tabor/phils TP3244 will be just the ticket, though its possible we might make something specific to the task at hand.. This was just an idea less than 24 hours ago, some detail needs to be sorted..

ryanschristmaslights said:
Any ETA on this.. 2011? 2012?

Desktop proof of concept is running right now; will be designing small pcb tommorrow, parts will be inbound tommorrow... Will take 2 weeks or so to get a string of 50 up and running.. Will test those for 2 weeks.. If that runs ok, i'll sort out production in the factory, which woudl take another 2 weeks or so, and we will make 100 strings or so.. So all things being equal they could be avaialbel in 3 months.. this is a simple idea.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
coming up on 36 hours since i turned it on, and its still running without overheating or failing.

#2 which is running 100% duty cycle, for overload testing is warmer ( no suprises ) but is not overly hot and is still running ok after 18 hours or so.

Seems to me that this will be reletively stable.

This morning have drafted a pcb which i'll send away today for testing.

artzy

artzy-Noble Christmas
Wow Andrew

I have got to say that is amazing. From witnessing a bit in chat that was well over my head to a product concept (which is brilliant) and testing in such a short space of time is great.

The way things are going this looks like it will be a HUGE year for product innvovation and development, and we the end users cant thank guys like you and Phil and David (and quite a few others) for constantly coming up with new better brighter flashier things to make our displays really get the wow factor.

Thank you

Paul

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Sparky Strobe PCB prototypes designed and sent for manufacture

That might be one of the fastest turn arounds..

Just ordered 100 of these little pcbs ( 9.2 x 18.2 mm ).. Hoping this means next week we can have some kind of larger string up and running.

Regards

A.

Attachments

• sparky_pcb.jpg
    sparky_pcb.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 57

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Sparky Strobes..

heres the half watt leds that that will light up the sky...

Attachments

• Strobeleds.jpg
    Strobeleds.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 26

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Suggest a 900mm or other multiple of 300 mm spacing as most Australian building standards based on this (or for our friends in US 1') so easier to fit house features.

WildWillie

New elf
Anything new on these strobes? The concept looks very interesting, and would like to give a couple sheets a go. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make any of the Australian minis this year! :D

Bill

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Andrew has been working on these and hopefully within the month we should hear more and hopefully hear about availability and price.
Andrew should be able tell us more

WildWillie

New elf
Fasteddy said:
Andrew has been working on these and hopefully within the month we should hear more and hopefully hear about availability and price.
Andrew should be able tell us more

Thanks. Will keep my eyes open for more info.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Those at the Melbourne mini saw the prototypes and seemed to like them. Tomorrow I am in the factory in china and I hope to be able to aprove for production our new spark strings. Give me until next week and I'll be able to give you pricing and avialability

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Update on Super Standard Strobe String. (SSSS)

Hi all,

An update on this. Unfortunately my search for a suitable led that is reliable and in the form factor i wanted has only resulted in one choice of led that was too expensive to make it economically viable. All of the leds that i looked at just did'nt cut it. So, a bit of back to the drawing board on this. I'm looking at a completely different LED now and enclosing that in a plastic bubble..

Under contstruction now. I'm now looking at strings that are 20 strobes long at 300mm ( 1' ) spacing..